Fine finish Rasp alternative

Review by TheTurtleCarpenter posted 11-10-2017 02:04 AM 1097 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fine finish Rasp alternative No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought these files after a little searching for more shapes and sizes of the Nicholson Plasti-Cut file that I had come across (top right file w/red handle). The Nicholson has been a go to for awhile in the shop and I found these Japanese files @Lee Valley so I thought I would order 1 of each cut grade and order more as I needed.

The files all work great and are worth the price especially compared to hand cut modeler rasp. They all leave a glass finish but can be aggressive also. I found No difference in their cut/finish but rather that the finer the teeth the more they were apt to load up and time taken to brush the teeth out or tap on the bench. My reccomendation would be to order the fine or medium cut in whatever you want, curved or flat. The X-fine works great but loads more like a regular metal file. http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=63451&cat=1,42524

-- "Tying shoelaces was way harder than learning to Whistle",,,,,member MWTCA area K. Kentucky

View Andre's profile

Andre

#1 posted 11-10-2017 06:23 PM

I have a few of these files and do like them for price and function! I have a 8” Bahco Oberg file that always seems to my go to File?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#2 posted 11-10-2017 06:52 PM

Andre, what cut and model # is the Bahco, any link to it ?

View PPK's profile

PPK

#3 posted 11-10-2017 07:15 PM

I have one of those Lee Valley Jap milled files, I agree, they work really well and are smooth finish.

-- Pete

View Andre's profile

Andre

#4 posted 11-11-2017 07:23 AM

Andre, what cut and model # is the Bahco, any link to it ?

- TheTurtleCarpenter

Bahco 1-106-10-1-0 Flat File 10-Inch Oberg Cut is the the one I just bought as a spare but prefer my original 8” better! Sometimes hard to find around here, found some on Amazon but there prices can be crazy?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 11-12-2017 04:12 PM

Yeah!
I looked on AMZ for the Bahco, and saw them being sold in 10-packs.
Really, I have never wanted to own 10 of one file!

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#6 posted 11-12-2017 07:56 PM

Try Zoro.com , they sell them in singles

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#7 posted 11-13-2017 02:37 AM

I use these regularly in my guitar building and tool handle shaping. I love them very much. Tooth loading is really the only drawback, but finish is hard to beat.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#8 posted 11-13-2017 03:43 AM

Thanks for the review, didn’t know about these.

Jim, I’m in DFW and a lumber supplier here started selling Pferd files out the wazoo. I know you’re several hours away but if you’re ever near Wood World in Richardson stop by there. They have tons of them. Also riflers, hand-stitched stuff, Japanese saws and a few other things. Couldn’t believe it, they’ve never sold hand tools like that until now. Unfortunately, none of that stuff is on their website except to say that they’ve got it.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#9 posted 11-13-2017 03:38 PM

Thanks for the tip on Wood World, it sounds like a good retail store to visit. I’m up there rarely, but in the future I will look it up. Thanks.

I have a mish-mash type of collection of files and rasps now. Mostly I have always thought of a rasp as a roughing tool, which may be due to what I have on hand. I really like my somewhat newer Narex rasps, which I bought from Amazon, however I do find they are still aggressive.

I do sometimes reach for a file for use on wood, but find that such tools usually clog quickly. Finding a smaller, lighter, finer rasp sounds like possibly a good thing. One of the LV tools from this review would fill probably that bill in my shop.

-- Jim, Houston, TX