DELTA 31-484 OSCILLATING - TILTING SPINDLE SANDER -UNBOXING AND REVIEW

Review by Ryan Nicholson posted 11-05-2017 06:38 PM 1833 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 DELTA 31-484 OSCILLATING - TILTING SPINDLE SANDER -UNBOXING AND REVIEW  DELTA 31-484 OSCILLATING - TILTING SPINDLE SANDER -UNBOXING AND REVIEW  DELTA 31-484 OSCILLATING - TILTING SPINDLE SANDER -UNBOXING AND REVIEW Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a Delta 31-484 1HP Oscillating -Tilting Spindle Sander from a Delta dealer on EBay.
I chose this model because the spindle tilts on a trunion instead of the table having to tilt. Also the gear box runs in an oil bath which is super quiet and should last many years. Delivery went smooth and the machine was undamaged so I signed for it and welcomed the 400 pound monster into my shop. Over all, the fit and finish of the machine is good. The cast iron table top was dead flat except one corner was lower by a 32nd of an inch. There are a few issues of the machine that need calling out.
The spindles are made really well. Very little run out on all of them except the 1/4” spindle. It’s got a pretty bad wobble and I am going to try getting a replacement for it from Delta.
The wrenches are made fairly well and work OK, thanks to the removable access panel above the motor cover. First order of business was to make the machine mobile.
I don’t like the machine bases that have 2 slave wheels and a main swivel / lock wheel, Instead, I prefer four 3”swivel casters, they are a lot cheaper and they roll a heck of a lot easier. It makes the machine taller which I like because I’m 6 ft tall. I tilted the machine and installed 2 wood blocks so i can mount the casters. So now on to the throat plate issues…
First, the plates are not precision ground like the table top (Why Not Delta???) They are made out of stamped steel.
Second, the plates are dished or cupped by around a 64th to a 32nd of an inch.
Third, the larger diameter plates did not fit into the throat. I had to grind the edges down on them to get them to fit.
And fourth, they measure around 5/32” thick but the throat itself measures around 3/16” thick and there are no set screws in the throat to adjust for the 32nd inch gap.So, I had to drill and tap 8 set screws into the throat.
The next issue I had with the machine was the on board storage for the spindles. It consists of holes drilled into the sheet metal of the machine. The spindles are precision ground steel with threads on the bottom and fit into the machines collet very smoothly. Taking them out and putting them back into the storage rack would mar the spindles. Not Good. So, I made red oak racks that fit on top of the metal racks and are held in place with double sided carpet tape.
The machine comes with a couple of hooks for storing the throat plates. These work fine, but when all three plates are on one of the hooks, there is no room for the spindle wrenches. So, I made a wrench rack out of red oak and flush mounted magnets to the back.
So, that’s it! I really like this machine after I fixed the problems talked about earlier. It runs super smooth, it’s quiet, has a 5 year warranty and the dust collection works well keeping the outside of the machine dust free. The inside of the machine does not stay dust free (I have a 1 1/2 HP dust collector so that’s not the problem.) It needs some kind of baffle to direct the sawdust to the dust chute, I have a couple of ideas on the problem, and if I make a baffle for the machine, I will post an update.
Please check out the video I made of what is described above, I show how I fixed the problems and show the machine running in action. Here’s the YouTube link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_y5ooNb2CU

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

#1 posted 11-05-2017 08:50 PM

link does not work?

#2 posted 11-05-2017 08:57 PM

Yeah Hi Rusty, sorry about that, I had inadvertently put my name (Ryan) at the end of the link. I edited the review and hopefully the name is gone and link works now.

View Bill_Steele's profile

Bill_Steele

#3 posted 11-06-2017 03:30 PM

The link doesn’t work for me. I suspect the problem is that the link you provided is an edit link—and most people won’t be able to edit. Is this your review? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_y5ooNb2CU

#4 posted 11-06-2017 03:57 PM

Hi Bill,
Yes, that is my review. I cut and pasted the link in your post to me into the sander review. Hopefully that one works. The original link works for me, don’t know why it’s not working for anyone else. Thanks for the heads up!

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#5 posted 11-08-2017 04:47 PM

Is it possible to have a review here rather than a link to another place for it?

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4385 posts in 2019 days

#6 posted 11-08-2017 09:58 PM

No no no AZWoody thats way too easy !!!

-- Regards Robert

#7 posted 11-09-2017 12:35 AM

No no no AZWoody thats way too easy !!!

- robscastle

Yes! You are absolutely right! It was way too easy spending the extra hours setting up the lighting and filming the review, way too easy sitting in front of my computer for hours making and editing the video. Way too easy thinking that people would appreciate seeing a video of the review instead of reading two paragraphs and looking at six pictures.
Lesson learned, Thank you!

#8 posted 11-09-2017 02:02 AM

- AZWoody

OK AZWoody, I edited the review and re-posted.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4385 posts in 2019 days

#9 posted 11-09-2017 11:18 AM

Arrr ripped off again … there is only 3 pictures!

However Ryan as it looks like this is your first attempt at posting a review, so I will give it a “thumbs Up”
Having to modify it to be a little more effective seems to be par for the course with PRC supplied machines.

Dust extraction … yep effective dust removal is something that is lacking in just about all WW machines.

It looks like you have one brute of a sander there …enjoy!

-- Regards Robert