A Solid General Purpose Workhorse At An Affordable Price

Review by knotscott posted 11-24-2009 10:45 AM 2211 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Solid General Purpose Workhorse At An Affordable Price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a very good blade at a fair price (~ $42). Freud’s Industrial series (denoted by an “L” in the prefix) offers a step up from their entry level Diablo and former TK/Avanti series. The larger teeth are C4 micrograin carbide and are very sharp. They feature an alternating top bevel grind (ATB) and a fairly steep 15 degree hook angle that helps it rip reasonably well. The blade has anti-vibration slots and a Permashield coating.

I bought the LU86 as a back up to my Forrest 40T WWII TK some years ago. It cuts cleanly on a wide variety of cuts and materials, and rips well up to about 2” thick material. As expected from a general purpose blade, it’ll do a very good job of alot of cutting tasks, but does not cut as well in the extreme regions as a good dedicated blade will. The advantage is that it’s versatile enough to leave in the saw for about 90% of my applications. I find it crosscuts well enough for most of my needs…nearly as cleanly as my Forrest, and rips easily through most of the stock I cut. I found the LU86 cuts cleaner than my LU84 did, and cleaner than my Leitz 40T and 50T blades. Neither of these blades rips as aggressively as a good dedicated 24T TK ripping blade, so when ripping lots of material or very thick stock I switch to a rip blade. The thin kerf on the LU86 is an excellent choice for saw’s under 3hp.

If you’re looking for one good blade that doesn’t break the bank, the LU86 is a great choice in a general purpose thin kerf blade.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#1 posted 11-24-2009 02:08 PM

Scott, thanks for the review.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

870 posts in 2038 days

#2 posted 11-24-2009 04:02 PM

In November issue of Wood magazine they rated the best TS blades under $50. That blade was rated near the top. It was the thinnest kerf they tested.

Steve.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3684 posts in 1909 days

#3 posted 11-24-2009 06:58 PM

Thanks Scott, will keep that one in mind. I have a Freud D1080X on my radial arm saw, a dedicated cross cut machine in my shop. The D1080X was bought without research, but looking at the reviews they all duplicate my experience of it being an extremely fine cutting blade.

I use a WWII on my table saw, and so far haven’t seen any reason to change it.

In general, my experience with Freud is very good so far.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#4 posted 11-26-2009 04:27 PM

Have used this one for a few years myself. It worked well on the table saw for most things. It doesn’t rip the difficult stuff as well as a blade designed to rip, but gets the job done. I ended up with mine in my miter saw and put a similar Freud combo blade in the table saw. Good review.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

#5 posted 11-26-2009 10:50 PM

I just bought three of these at HD on sale for $29.00 each. I have an old one I saved to cut stuff that might have nails etc. My CMS had a Ridgid 12” that was junk. (cut the nicest arc you ever saw) I replaced it with a 65 tooth Freud and love them. I’m stuck on Freud!

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

#6 posted 11-26-2009 10:51 PM

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#7 posted 11-30-2009 12:18 AM

lilred – I think you may have grabbed 3 of the Freud Diablo 40T blades, as I don’t think HD carries the Freud Industrial series. Very similar blades, same brand, but different lines. If you did get the LU86 for $29 each, you did very well….I haven’t seen them that low in quite a while.