A review and a modification

Review by cstrang posted 11-22-2009 09:52 PM 2064 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A review and a modification A review and a modification A review and a modification Click the pictures to enlarge them

This saw is discontinued now, replaced by a new model but some stores around me still have a few left on their shelves. I picked mine up for about $360.00, that price for a Bosch slider is pretty good in my books. As with any other miter saw out there dust collection sucks but that is to be expected I guess. It came with a 60 tooth blade that worked great but after its life was up I replaced it with a Freud. The only real problem that this one has is that it is very hard to pull down when you first start a cut because of the blade guard mechanism, as pictured above you can see there is an abrupt angle against the bearing which causes the problem. There is an easy fix to this, I took the metal piece off and rounded over the edge using my belt sander as pictured below, now the saw works without a hitch.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

1787 posts in 1923 days

View Andrew Betschman's profile

Andrew Betschman

284 posts in 1978 days

#1 posted 11-22-2009 10:15 PM

Bosch 5412 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Slide Miter Saw also has the same problem. I have also used Makita and Dewalt miter saws with no problems.

-- Andrew, Ohio http://andrewmbetschman.com/

View Roper's profile

Roper

#2 posted 11-23-2009 04:50 AM

thats fun because i have the dual-bevel model and have never had a problem with it yet.it is a great saw.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

#3 posted 11-23-2009 05:02 AM

thanks for the review

View Quiglag's profile

Quiglag

#4 posted 11-23-2009 05:56 AM

I have 2 co-workers, one with the 10” and one with the 12” and they both have this problem. They were purchased a good 2-3 years apart and I was surprised Bosch never fixed the issue. They didn’t start out with this problem, but it got worse over time.

-- Chris, Southern California, www.tool-rank.com

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5283 posts in 2063 days

#5 posted 11-23-2009 06:28 AM

I have the boscch 10” and had a similar problem. I filed the same metal piece down last year and it solved the problem. Otherwise, it is a great and accurate saw.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#6 posted 11-23-2009 09:21 PM

My bosch sliding 12” doesn’t have this issue. It’s about a year old now.

View Greg's profile

Greg

#7 posted 11-25-2009 06:05 AM

My 12” Dewalt has the same problem.

-- Greg S.E. Ga. www.thesawdustfactory.net

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1950 days

#8 posted 11-27-2009 12:31 AM

I have the newer bosch 10” slider. 1 Year and no problems so far. Great saw. Paid $399 for mine.
Might seem high for the US people reading this but up here in Canada that’s a good price.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1950 days

#9 posted 11-30-2009 11:14 PM

I checked and mine does not have the notch you sanded off. Great tip for anyone with this model though.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!