Finish Denibber Does a Great Job

Review by TungOil posted 10-21-2017 12:40 AM 1295 views 6 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Finish Denibber Does a Great Job No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was speaking recently with a professional refinisher, lamenting about how I always end up with some dust nibs in my sprayed finish no matter how careful I am. He told me about this very interesting tool – The Konig Metal Planer – that he uses to remove nibs. This tool is essentially a short section from a wide float mounted in a phenolic body such that it works much like a hand plane. The tool comes in a protective leather ‘wrap’ that attaches easily with velcro.

The ‘blade’ is reversible and is held in by a strong magnet. It is easily removable for cleaning with compressed air or a brush.

To use the tool to denib a finished piece, you push it across the surface much like a hand plane using very light pressure. It does not take much pressure at all and works surprisingly well. I use just the weight of the tool with excellent results.

In this image you can see a noticable dust nib in this sapele table top.

Here is the same location after being denibbed. The best part – no sanding!

At less than $40.00, I would highly recommend this tool. You can learn more here: http://www.konigtouchup.com/BuyNow/metalplaner.html

-- The optimist says "the glass is half full". The pessimist says "the glass is half empty". The engineer says "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

View Rich's profile

Rich

#1 posted 10-21-2017 01:48 AM

Thanks for sharing, Tung. I’ll definitely order one of these. I have a similar product from Mohawk that’s designed for leveling their hard fill and hard fill plus products, but it’s made of plastic. It works well for what it’s intended for, but the Konig looks like a much higher-end product.

I’d also recommend checking out their special scraper. It differs from a cabinet scraper in that the cutting edges are hollow ground and you don’t burnish them. They work well for repairs of finish imperfections and leveling fills. Again, I have the Mohawk brand, but the Konig scraper appears to be identical.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#2 posted 10-22-2017 03:28 AM

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one.

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

2885 posts in 2071 days

#3 posted 10-22-2017 09:26 PM

Tung, do my eyes deceive me or did it enhance the gloss of the finish?

-- Art

#4 posted 10-23-2017 12:18 AM

Art- your eyes are deceiving you. Actually, the top image is slightly out of focus.

View Planeman40's profile

Planeman40

#5 posted 10-23-2017 03:50 PM

Interesting. I often use a single edge razor blade to scrape level these kind of things

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#6 posted 10-23-2017 07:02 PM

Wow, that’s really interesting. Might need one someday.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#7 posted 10-24-2017 05:49 PM

Does it leave any scratch marks? I’ve always hand sanded with ultra fine grit sand paper, 800 grit between coats and 2000 grit (wet) before the final coat. I’ve also used the Mirka random orbit pads with 8,000 grit and beyond on desk tops after the final coat but before rubbing in Behlens. I’m not totally impressed with the ROS system since it loads up if it isn’t wet and streaks.

#8 posted 10-24-2017 10:13 PM

Earl- no scratches that I can see on satin topcoat. It takes just the lightest touch to remove any nibs. The instructions do say to let the finish fully cure before using the tool. I allowed 2+ weeks.