Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze.

Review by mart posted 11-21-2009 04:06 AM 3668 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Click the pictures to enlarge them

After years of using an ROS to sand and smooth all my projects I finally said enough and started collecting good user planes over the last couple of years. I had played some with a #5 jack plane but had left my #4 smoother unattended other than to derust it. I pulled it out today, took the blade out and got out my Veritas honing guide. I had purchased a camber roller attachment for it last year and hadn’t tried it out yet. I don’t know what took me so long. It made putting a camber on that plane blade dead simple. Just follow the simple instructions and you cannot help but get a sharp, perfect camber. My sharpening skills are fair freehand but this camber attachment makes getting an accurate camber far easier than freehand. I coupled the Veritas with a set of Norton waterstones from 220 to 8000 and am able to turn out some great sharp edges on my tools. One of the best woodworking purchases I ever made. Willow the brown dog thinks so too. She loves the plane shavings, although I won’t let her eat them like she would like. They probably are better for her than the sticks and chunks of wood I catch her chewing on.

Mart

View mart's profile

mart

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

#1 posted 11-21-2009 04:37 AM

Very cool. I have been putting too much camber in my irons with my “freehand” / heavy handed style. How does this work?

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

#2 posted 11-21-2009 05:11 AM

Thanks for the review mart.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#3 posted 11-21-2009 05:22 AM

Ditto. Here is a close up of the roller from the LV web site

Lee Valley Camber roller

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1954 days

#4 posted 11-21-2009 07:41 PM

sweet good to know cuz i was ondering if it worked or not now the question is can u put different cambers on all planes cuz they all require different cambers besides the jointer i think thats how it goes i do know they all have different amt. camber though.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View mart's profile

mart

#5 posted 11-21-2009 07:56 PM

bigike,

The amount of camber on the blade is going to be the same on any blades of the same width. There is no adjustment for more or less camber. I don’t know if Veritas offers or has ever considered offering rollers with different degrees of camber.

Mart

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

#6 posted 12-10-2009 01:28 AM

If you have the MK II, spend the extra money and add this to your collection. It works very well.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View Rick's profile

Rick

#7 posted 12-23-2009 05:10 PM

I usually do my final dimensioning on my drum sander and then finishing with my random orbital. I move through many grits on my random orbital and only at each one for several seconds. This gets me to a super nice finish when I reach 1000 grit. It removes very little wood and does it evenly.

I would love to not have to use the sander and kick up dust but I’m affraid that, with a hand plane, I would take off too much and would leave each piece of my project at different thicknesses and unevenly planed. I know a lot of practice would take care of that but I already have a system in place.

Any advice guys?

View gmerteng's profile

gmerteng

#8 posted 12-23-2009 05:26 PM

I use this tool also it takes all the guess work out of it.

-- Mert,Oshkosh WI,

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#9 posted 12-23-2009 08:19 PM

One point related to handplanes. You actually have a lot of control. A smoothing plane takes a shaving that is 1/1000 inch thick. You can adjust up from there depending on how much stock you need to remove.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Jon_Banquer's profile

Jon_Banquer

#10 posted 09-17-2010 11:45 AM

Helpful review. Thank you!

-- Jon Banquer San Diego, CA CAD / CAM programmer, CNC Machinist