Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze.

Review by mart posted 1708 days ago 3529 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Veritas camber roller attachement makes putting a camber on a blade a breeze. Click the pictures to enlarge them

After years of using an ROS to sand and smooth all my projects I finally said enough and started collecting good user planes over the last couple of years. I had played some with a #5 jack plane but had left my #4 smoother unattended other than to derust it. I pulled it out today, took the blade out and got out my Veritas honing guide. I had purchased a camber roller attachment for it last year and hadn’t tried it out yet. I don’t know what took me so long. It made putting a camber on that plane blade dead simple. Just follow the simple instructions and you cannot help but get a sharp, perfect camber. My sharpening skills are fair freehand but this camber attachment makes getting an accurate camber far easier than freehand. I coupled the Veritas with a set of Norton waterstones from 220 to 8000 and am able to turn out some great sharp edges on my tools. One of the best woodworking purchases I ever made. Willow the brown dog thinks so too. She loves the plane shavings, although I won’t let her eat them like she would like. They probably are better for her than the sticks and chunks of wood I catch her chewing on.

Mart

View mart's profile

mart

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

Very cool. I have been putting too much camber in my irons with my “freehand” / heavy handed style. How does this work?

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112000 posts in 2176 days

Thanks for the review mart.

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Ditto. Here is a close up of the roller from the LV web site

Lee Valley Camber roller

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View bigike's profile

bigike

sweet good to know cuz i was ondering if it worked or not now the question is can u put different cambers on all planes cuz they all require different cambers besides the jointer i think thats how it goes i do know they all have different amt. camber though.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View mart's profile

mart

bigike,

The amount of camber on the blade is going to be the same on any blades of the same width. There is no adjustment for more or less camber. I don’t know if Veritas offers or has ever considered offering rollers with different degrees of camber.

Mart

View northwoodsman's profile

northwoodsman

If you have the MK II, spend the extra money and add this to your collection. It works very well.

-- NorthWoodsMan

View Rick's profile

Rick

I usually do my final dimensioning on my drum sander and then finishing with my random orbital. I move through many grits on my random orbital and only at each one for several seconds. This gets me to a super nice finish when I reach 1000 grit. It removes very little wood and does it evenly.

I would love to not have to use the sander and kick up dust but I’m affraid that, with a hand plane, I would take off too much and would leave each piece of my project at different thicknesses and unevenly planed. I know a lot of practice would take care of that but I already have a system in place.

Any advice guys?

View gmerteng's profile

gmerteng

I use this tool also it takes all the guess work out of it.

-- Mert,Oshkosh WI,

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

One point related to handplanes. You actually have a lot of control. A smoothing plane takes a shaving that is 1/1000 inch thick. You can adjust up from there depending on how much stock you need to remove.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Jon_Banquer's profile

Jon_Banquer

Helpful review. Thank you!

-- Jon Banquer San Diego, CA CAD / CAM programmer, CNC Machinist