Tough, Affordable, Accurate Saw

Review by PPK posted 10-18-2017 06:55 PM 980 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tough, Affordable, Accurate Saw Tough, Affordable, Accurate Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s about time somebody posts a review… I’ll take up the baton…

I was thinking about all the tools in my shop, and the one that stands out as earning its money back many times is my chopsaw. I bought this saw quite a long time ago (I was in high school, to be honest). To date, I have only ever adjusted the fence a tiny bit, and swapped out dull blades. The saw has served me well and maintained power and accuracy to this day.

The DW703 is the saw I own (the first picture), and the DW713 (the second picture) is the newer model. I’ve used my Dad’s 713 several times, and it is an identical saw, with the exception of the bevel lock. That’s why I’ve taken liberty to review both at once. Oh, and the “press-down” bevel lock on the 713 is just slightly nicer to use, but not really a big deal IMO.

Pro’s:
-Light compared to sliding miter saws
-Very Accurate. And completely adjustable if it gets wacked out, even though I’ve only ever adjusted the fence once since the initial adjustment
-Very sturdy
-Very powerful. Never had problems with motor bogging, unless I had a super crappy blade.
-Big enough to cut pretty much anything I’ve come across.
-Reliable. I’ve never had to rely on option B when using this saw.

Cons:
-Does not have the capacity of a sliding miter saw, nor can it bevel in both directions. This really isn’t a con, since a true review only compares a saw to like saws. In all honesty, I have never needed to bevel more than one direction, and on the saws that bevel both ways, it just introduces more options to get out of alignment and flex.
-Changing the blades probably could be a little easier. You have to unscrew one screw on the blade guard partway to get to the arbor bolt. On the other hand, I’ve thought about this a little, and consider it a safety feature too… If the bolt ever came loose, it physically CANNOT come out, because of the blade guard. No blades on the loose here.

That pretty much sums it up. Solid saw for $200 or so. No real cons.

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View PPK's profile

PPK

#1 posted 10-18-2017 07:01 PM

True (humorous) story to add on:

In high school/college, probably about 1/3 of all the tools in Dad’s shop were mine. When I bought my own house, Dad was gracious enough to load up my remaining tools from the shop and bring them to me. Since then, he’s replaced almost all of them with identical or very similar tools. I guess he missed having them!

-- Pete

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#2 posted 10-19-2017 02:14 AM

I own a 12” compound sliding bosch that I like in the shop.

But… I’ve owned this Dewalt for years and have taken it out on the job time after time. I’ve got lots of hours on it. Can’t be killed. And it maintains it’s accuracy. Not as elegant as some other saws but gets the job done just the same and is really, really tough.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#3 posted 10-19-2017 05:08 AM

True (humorous) story to add on:

In high school/college, probably about 1/3 of all the tools in Dad s shop were mine. When I bought my own house, Dad was gracious enough to load up my remaining tools from the shop and bring them to me. Since then, he s replaced almost all of them with identical or very similar tools. I guess he missed having them!

- PPK

Nice story. I’m sure he misses you too.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

#4 posted 10-19-2017 05:23 PM

I will have to second this review, although my opinions are based on the 704 which is the single bevel 12” version.
It has been a workhorse. Between the chopsaw and a crosscut sled on my tablesaw, I haven’t found anything I can’t handle.

It just keeps working. And it certainly has seen some heavy use.

The Cons I see are dust collection and blade cost with the 12” blades. Your 10” blades are much more reasonable.
I had to go to considerable lengths to enclose and capture the dust plume. That’s the trade-off with using a portable tool as a stationary shop tool I guess.

I agree with your review, it’s a keeper.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 10-20-2017 05:34 PM

I also have owned one for a long time and the only thing I’ve ever had to do is replace the blade. I also added a laser as well so I could line up the cut and I think I might have bought the stand for it as well. It’s been around so long I don’t remember the details. Beyond that, it is solid, dependable and reliable. I built a shroud for dust collection

Wish more things were made like this. I will say DeWalt seems to understand making good solid woodworking equipment.

View jwisbey's profile

jwisbey

#6 posted 10-20-2017 09:44 PM

Count me in as one that has owned this saw (12” version) as well. I have had it for 18+ years, and as the others, have just replaced the blade. It is dead-on accurate since day one. I will admit that this was the best purchase I have ever made for the shop. It is used as much, if not more, than any other tool. Glad others have had the same experience with it.

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

#7 posted 11-04-2017 07:12 AM

I owned a 10” earlier model Bosch slider for years, and I have the older version of this DeWally and I gifted the Bosch to my BIL because I like the DeWalt. A lot less parts moving = tighter tolerance for better cuts. I hardly see a difference in capabilities between the 10” slider and my 12 chopper. Biggest plus is I bought it at Lowes on Black Friday several years ago for 89 bux, that is HF kind of money for a great tool.

Nice review.

I grew up using a miter box, and a handsaw. My box did have a 2 way bevel, but I never used it, always was just easier to flip the board.

-- Think safe, be safe