POOR SERVICE AFTER THE SALE

Review by cabo posted 10-09-2017 02:08 AM 2411 views 0 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
POOR SERVICE AFTER THE SALE No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I did a lot of research before buying a sander , Some of the thing I wanted in the sander was , I wanted a Double drum sander , Pay a little extra now to save time later , Next I want it wide to sand 20 -24 wood panels, and at least be able to sand 6-8 thick or deeper , it case I wanted to sand a box or something, and a descent price ,so it came down to the Delta 26 inch wide 31-481 or the grizzly 24 inch model

well I thought I done a lot of research , but I didn’t , I find any reviews of either machine So what swing me to delta was the 5 year warranty , So by chance it came on sale for around $ 1,900. Dollars So I Bought and it took about a week to get it here , So I get started using it and with in 10 minutes the sandpaper Rips , so I looked around for sandpaper for it and BOY DOES IT HAVE A STRANGE SIZE, I FINALLY FIND IT i TRIED TO PUT IT ON AND BOY THAT WAS A JOB , it never line up right , in the manual there was NO TEMPLATE FOR THE ANGLE, LENGTH AND REALLY NOT MUCH ON HOW TO CHANGE IT OR TROUBLE SHOOT THE PROBLEMS. I CALLED THE SERVICE TECH AND ASK HIM ( STEVE ) WHAT THE TO DO AND HE SAID TO BUY THE PRE CUTS SANDPAPER , I told him I would but could find any , Steve said they sell them and keep one as a pattern for later , I look but never found any, so I keep trying to put sand paper on it , I would use it and the sandpaper would come loose again and start to over lap and I would have to stop and tight it up but to no avail it would loosen up again , I tried anything , I kept calling the delta tech service and they were no help. I tried per cut paper and the same problem , in about 16 months I have change the sandpaper a least 12 time on each drum about 300 feet of sandpaper , what I ended up be able to get it to last a little longer was I used double stick tape on the Drums , but it still would only stay tight for a little while, I finally had enough and called Delta and told them I had enough and they told me to called a delta service center, I Did and made arrangements to take it in the them on Aug 22 2017 , I did that because I was going out of town for 18 days , the guy at the service center called Delta to have them send parts , well Delta never sent them parts. I called Steve at DELTA about it and they said they would get with the repair shop and send them parts , well they some parts, well the repair shop started put in the new parts and after he got it tore down they never sent them all the part , so got with Delta and sent them more parts,( now this is 6 weeks later and still not fix ) the repair got the parts and still missing some , the repair shop sent picture of the parts they need, so about a week later they got the rest of the parts they thought, well they didn’t , I called Delta again my self and they are now starting Back step saying they told the shop on Sept 21 that the rest of the part are on back order Nov. 7 2017 and Delta did not care about it, i DID SOME MORE LOOKING AROUND OF THE NET AND FOUND 2 MORE COMPANY’S THAT THERE SANDER ARE THE SAME THAT THE COULD GET THE PARTS FROM AND THEY DID NOT CARE Well I am stuck with it WHEN I GET BACK , JUST TELL EVERYBODY NOT TO BUY DELTA TOOLS I HAVE SEEN A FEW SANDER THAT HAS HOOK AND LOOP SANDPAPER ON IT IN CLOSING THIS HAS BEEN A HEAD ACHE AND A HALF

-- CABOSAWMAN

View cabo's profile

cabo

View builtinbkyn's profile

builtinbkyn

#1 posted 10-09-2017 02:59 AM

I looked at that machine but not seeing any reviews scared me away. Still looking for a drum sander.

-- Bill, Yo!......in Brooklyn :)

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#2 posted 10-09-2017 12:18 PM

Well your 18 months into a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY. Crate it up ,get a return number and call UPS. Problem solved.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#3 posted 10-09-2017 01:27 PM

Wow. Sorry for that experience. If you don’t return it, perhaps converting it to a hook and loop sandpaper would help some. Another thing that helps is running a band of strapping tape around the ends of the sand paper so that it doesn’t come loose. Hope they get it resolved for you quickly!

-- Pete

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 10-09-2017 01:35 PM

I will never buy a Delta product again because of the way I was treated after buying my Unisaw. I’m sorry that you are getting a taste of what Delta calls customer service.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#5 posted 10-09-2017 05:38 PM

Return it.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#6 posted 10-09-2017 06:18 PM

I left Delta products in 1992; since then I won’t purchase a Delt or Porter Cable- no regrets.
Push the envelope and get your money back.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#7 posted 10-09-2017 10:43 PM

You are supposed to sober up before posting here. :)

On a more serious note, sorry to hear all the problems, I would just return it at this point.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#8 posted 10-09-2017 11:58 PM

Delta is a Taiwanese owned company now and they have abandoned their loyal customers over the last several decades. They no longer provide parts for their machines more than a few years old. I wish you could have found out about the company a little sooner. Good luck and don’t compromise with them.

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#9 posted 10-10-2017 12:07 AM

Returns sometimes can be difficult but be persistant- hopefully you will pervail- NO compromises “just refund my money!” but don’t be rude about it- Let us know, I would be interested in hearing your results 2017.

As anside “back in 1990” there was no phone numbers to Delta and Porter Cable; correspondance was done by mail or they would schedule a traveling company rep to meet you at the store of purchase to disscuss the “situation”. It was difficult but I got my refund, but it was like pulling theeth. NO Delta or Porter Cable for me.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#10 posted 10-10-2017 12:54 AM

I have 4 delta machines a Unisaw made in US before they sent production to china, drill press, 13” planer and 20” scroll saw. I ordered extra parts (not needed for repairs) for the scroll saw and they only took 4 days. I am sorry about your luck. I have not needed any repair parts for any of my machines I must Iiving right.

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

#11 posted 10-10-2017 01:53 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems with Delta. They are not the same company they were . Years ago (70’s) they stocked replacement parts for everything they ever produced and when they sold everything was dumped.

I purchased a Grizzly G1066Z 24” DRUM SANDER -V/S and have had zero problems and the reason I purchased it was that they stock replacement parts for there tools.

Hope everything works out for you.

-- Respectfully, Paul

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#12 posted 10-10-2017 02:39 AM

I’m actually shocked that a Delta rep hasn’t been on the forums to clear the air over any of these reviews. You would think that 9 out of 10 comments saying that they are done with Delta would wake them up.

I purchased a Supermax drum sander 2 years ago and that thing is a beauty.

View bruc101's profile

bruc101

#13 posted 10-10-2017 05:01 AM

I’m down to one Delta tool in my shop, and there will never be anything Delta in my shop again because of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced in 50 years of woodworking.

-- Bruce Free Plans http://plans.sawmillvalley.org

View knotheadswoodshed's profile

knotheadswoodshed

209 posts in 1955 days

#14 posted 10-11-2017 01:16 PM

Check out Klingspor woodshop for your replacement sandpaper rolls, they come in bulk rolls, pre-marked by size so you just cut the angle that is marked on the roll for your size.

-- Randy - "I dont make mistakes, I make design change opportunities" www.knotheadswoodshed.com

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4303 posts in 1987 days

#15 posted 10-11-2017 09:42 PM

I too wondered about the booze

-- Regards Robert