Porter Cable Drill Press PCB660DP

Review by Gus01 posted 10-03-2017 03:48 PM 1505 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable Drill Press PCB660DP No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Even though they’ve had a recent price increase on this unit it’s still an excellent buy. Even compared to online companies that specialize in woodworking and machine shop machines this is a feature packed press and it was in stock at my local Lowe’s so no shipping charges which for packaging this large and heavy are not cheap. Packing was in very good condition given the size and weight. Some of the styrofoam packing was broken but nothing significant or in places where it matters. I say this for those of you who might order online and have it shipped direct to your home. Check it out before signing for it. Assembly took about 20 minutes but there was little to do but bolt the column on the stand, place the tool on the column, place the table on the support, add the locking handles. Put a bulb in the light fixture, add the chuck and plug it up. I must agree with the instructions to have two people to lift the tool head. It’s very heavy and not worth a back injury. There was as some have already stated some surface rust on the support for the table. Mine was in the same spots but wipe completely off with a paper towel. The laser was on target from the factory. Changing speeds was easy. Took longer to find the right diagram for my choice of speed than it did to actually to move the belts. I have zero wobble or runout and the quality of the machine is very good regardless of price. It would be nice to have some floor leveling ability because my garage floor is not even. The only thing I can’t comment on is durability and that can only be answered by time. I’d definitely buy this again and I’m very pleased with my purchase.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#1 posted 10-03-2017 04:27 PM

If you ever get play in the quill after using it for a time (mine developed play) gimme a holler. I know an easy fix.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#2 posted 10-03-2017 04:31 PM

My dr press is a different brand, but similar size and design (it’s a Sears, from about 1979-80 time frame).
I expect you will be super happy with this purchase.

I put mine on an HTC mobile base. It isn’t a really easy tool to move due to being so top heavy, and the base solves that. BUT, it also solved the issues of an uneven floor, since it has its own leveling bolts in two corners.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

4859 posts in 2048 days

#3 posted 10-04-2017 12:18 AM

I’ve had mine for about 2 years and love it. It’s just about the best value for the money I’ve spent on anything.

View Greg the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

#4 posted 10-04-2017 03:46 AM

I bought mine about 10 years ago and it has been very accurate and dependable. Bought it on sale for $249.. It was easy to put the head on mine by myself because I hooked up my chain hoist to the head with a heavy duty woven cloth towing strap and easily lowered it on the post. I have since added the Woodpecker drill press table and a set of link belts.
The chain hoist and tow strap were also invaluable when assembling my other heavy shop tools and setting them in their bases.

-- Wood for projects is like a good Fart..."better when you cut it yourself"

View Andre's profile

Andre

#5 posted 10-04-2017 06:28 AM

Was looking at that drill press couple of years ago, really liked it but then that darn wife bought me a 17” General?
Sometimes birthdays are good!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#6 posted 10-06-2017 11:45 PM

- TheFridge

Thanks I really appreciate it. Hopefully that doesn’t happen but I look you up if it does.
Rick

#7 posted 10-06-2017 11:48 PM

- Greg the Cajun Wood Artist

Uh I think that might be cheating:) Smart, but cheating. I need to get a chain hoist because my back screamed the whole time.

View EricLew's profile

EricLew

#8 posted 10-07-2017 04:29 AM

I am also a big fan of this drill press. I got a great deal on it on Craig’s List about a year ago. A gentleman had bought it, but never used it. I got it assembled, with the woodpecker table, both never used for $250.00 It has been a great addition to my shop, replacing my little 8” harbor freight bench top model

-- I love the smell of coffee in the morning, and sawdust in the afternoon

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

#9 posted 10-08-2017 07:01 PM

I have the same one and agree that its about the best value for the money for a general purpose drill press. I mounted mine to a double layer of plywood and then in turn mounted it on a mobile base.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#10 posted 10-08-2017 07:34 PM

Same as Ottacat, I made the plywood and 2×4 frame for mine 24” wide x 29” deep, and then the mobile base to fit that. Stability is great, and I intend to mount a little stage cabinet on it, that spans the actual base of the DP, and sits on the plywood surface of the base.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View David Smith's profile

David Smith

#11 posted 10-18-2017 11:06 PM

I’ve had one of these for a few years. Can’t remember when I bought it or how much I paid for it.

I made a table using Baltic birch with slots for a fence. It’s bolted onto a couple of 2×4s for stability. Nothing fancy, but it’s always done what I need it to.

-- David