Defective Out Of The Box

Review by Wodbug posted 09-26-2017 01:03 AM 2434 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Defective Out Of The Box No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Update 09/28/2017:
Was in contact with Jerry Cole, In Line, this morning. He was out of pocket for several weeks and is now active again. We talked about the bowed platforms and as both sides are veneered and even with me putting a cleat on the rear edge of the platform, did not make the platform flat. Jerry is calling PTree to see if they will replace both platforms, not the complete system. My shipping cost should be about 15.00. That I can do. The appr. cost of shipping at 70.00 came from a shippers quote using the weight listed on the original box. Jerry said it should not ever have been that high. We shall see in a few hours if PTree does the right thing.
I am changing my rating of the Dubby to 5 stars due to Jerry’s hopeful intervention with PTree and they say ok to replace. If not, I will purchase the platforms from Jerry and I know he will make sure they are flat. I learned from Jerry that PTree is the importer of the Dubby and Jerry buys from them.
Thanks to all who commented on this review and now knowing that PTree in the importer of the Dubby, I would suggest to buy only from In Line, not Ptree. I removed the update on 09/25 knowing now that PTree is the importer, not In Line.
Update 09/29/2017: PTree agreed to replace and ship new platforms and I will ship the defective ones to them shortly. Unreal that it took Jerry calling PTree to take care of this issue. So, kudos Jerry. Thank You.

Hi Folks, I bought the Dubble Dubby frrom Ptree on June 6, this year. For health reasons I was unable to open the box until 3 weeks ago. After assembling the Left Dubby and making the square cut on the wood end block, I noticed the cut was slanted off 90 degrees and the back side had a small curve to the right of the block. My saw blade has a .001 run out from back to front and is square to the miter tracks and my Incra 1000SE miter is dead on at all angles. So, checking the Dubby I found the sled to be bowed in its center from front to rear of the saw. Checking the right sled I found the same bow. The mdf is smaller than 1/2 inch and can be stressed quite easily. At this pont I am a bit aggravated and I checked the return policy of PTree. It is much less than satisfactory. I would have to send the complete set back to PTree at my own expense (more than 70.00 shipping cost). For a defective item PTree does not issue an RA as other suppliers do. I will not pay for someones defective product shipping, that should be PTrees.
Here is the second email I sent to Jerry Cole who owns Inline Industries. It contains the summary of my first email to him:
9/23/2017 Contact | In-Line Industries
http://in-lineindustries.com/contact/ 1/1
Hello Jerry,
Wondering if anyone is monitoring emails. I have yet to get a response from you guys about my
dubby. Whoever is manufacturing the sleds did not quality control my set. Both sleds are cupped in
the middle from front to back and after hours on hours trying to square the left sled and wood
block, I have given up. I had hoped you would have a solution that didn’t require me returning the
sled at my expense. I attached a copy of my receipt from PTree so you would have it.
Well, maybe I will hear from you soon. For now I will use my Incra 1000SE miter which is dead on
at any angle. FYI, PTree’s return policy less than satisfactory. They sold me a defective sled out
of the box. Sad…
Jackie Prewitt
Ocala, Fl.

View Wodbug's profile

Wodbug

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#1 posted 09-26-2017 03:07 AM

yep the mdf was always one of the big negatives I saw with the system… worse case get some Baltic birch and the use the old ones as templates.. I know that is not a good solution for something you paid so much for but you should have a great product after you update it with better material

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#2 posted 09-26-2017 11:12 AM

Ptree is a horrible company to do business with. I got a defective saw paddle switch and they wanted me to pay to have it shipped back to them. If THEY found it to defective they would replace it.
Here is the posting…clearly they are no better now than before.

Bought this defective switch from Peachtree-read on for potential dangers and poor customer service

Go to my Reviews.

Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#3 posted 09-26-2017 03:54 PM

You might check with your credit card company and see if you can file a claim through them for the defective item without having to send it back to Peachtree on your dime.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#4 posted 09-27-2017 02:28 PM

This review is really about Peachtree Tool and it would be nice if the title said that. I have ordered stuff from them before and I had no problem. However, I just went to their website and read their return policy. It is unacceptable and I will think twice before ordering from them any more. Thanks for pointing this out.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#5 posted 09-27-2017 06:04 PM

I only order stuff from Peachtree that I am familiar with so that I don’t run into their onerous return policy.

Having said that, I have had good luck talking to their customer service folks when I ordered my router table base cabinet. The lady was very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. I wasn’t trying to return anything, just find out where things stood on shipping. They had to box it up with extra packing and such to keep it from being damaged. When it did arrive on the OTR truck, it was undamaged.

Others have related bad experiences, but I have had good luck with them so far.

#6 posted 09-28-2017 02:43 AM

Wow, very informative

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View newwoodbutcher's profile

newwoodbutcher

#7 posted 10-07-2017 04:16 AM

I agree Ptree should be avoided if possible. I have had two bad experiences with them, they will not get a third chance from me. However, I have used the Duubby for over Twenty years, I think it is perhaps the most used and useful accessory in my shop. My first set were on my right tilting Grizzly Contractor saw for twelve years, they performed flawlessly. When I upgraded to a left tilt cabinet saw I replaced the left side Dubby, I use it every day and marvel at it’s accuracy, repeatability and reliability. I would give the Dubby Sled six or Seven stars, mdf has not been a concern at all. My old one had a wooden fence and a Mylar glued on scale. The new one has a sturdy aluminum fence and a steel engraved scale, nice upgrades. My occasion to use the right side is limited so I did not replace it. This is a simple yet elegant tool that I highly recomend. I have no affiliation with In-Lind industries other than being a delighted customer.

-- Ken

View MagicalMichael's profile

MagicalMichael

#8 posted 10-12-2017 03:21 PM

I bought the original “Dubby” 20+ years ago and liked it. Then about 5 years ago I gave it to my brother-in-law and bought the new one, which ended up in a struggle to get support. It took in-line almost three weeks to respond to multiple inquiries before giving me the help I needed. I then bought an Osborne miter gage and like it even more. Last Spring I bought a new table saw and found that the Dubby didn’t fit. Last week I wrote to them asking how to order a custom platform and how much it costs. I haven’t heard anything back. So needless to say I am not impressed by their customer service.

-- michael

View MagicalMichael's profile

MagicalMichael

#9 posted 10-18-2017 10:55 AM

t’s now been two weeks since emaled their customer service and two days since left a phone message. Still no response.

-- michael