NICE SAW FOR THE MONEY

Review by pottz posted 09-24-2017 08:15 PM 3125 views 2 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
NICE SAW FOR THE MONEY NICE SAW FOR THE MONEY NICE SAW FOR THE MONEY Click the pictures to enlarge them

just got this saw set up this morning and put it to the test.so far I’m real happy with it.i intend this as second saw so I can set it up with dado blades to avoid changing blades back and forth.its wired for 110v but can be changed to 220v.after the setup I checked for squareness and found it to be right the money.the fence is smooth and locks firmly.the dust collection port is only 2.5” so I put on an adaptor to connect my 4” hose which did a great job catching most of what comes out the bottom.its got a riving knife that can be removed easily and the guard also is very easy to remove so I may actually use it!raising the blade and tilting are real smooth and can be locked firmly.another nice feature are built in wheels and a foot lever so you can set it down.so after my first trials I’m gonna give this saw 5 stars.the saw was 599 at lowes but I had a 10 percent off coupon and a 10 dollar coupon so it made this a great deal.my only complaint is the way the throat plate is made will make it hard to create your own which is what I normally do,but ill figure out a way.

pottz

View robscastle's profile (online now)

robscastle

4493 posts in 2038 days

#1 posted 09-24-2017 09:06 PM

Bragger!!
The usual two words will apply.

Otherwise:
Value for money great purchase.
Speaking of sucking its good to see there has been some advancement in dust collection.
A couple more pictures of whats behind the side plate would be good.
Come to think of it where are all the technical details please.

I was so impressed I had to go find them myself.

Specifications

researched independently so no resoponsibility for anything not being quite right

Blade Material Carbide-tipped
Right Rip Capacity (Inches) 30
Maximum Blade Speed (RPM) 3600
Depth Control Yes
Spindle Lock Yes

Having two saws must be a real improvement in process work.
After making Raised panels I can see why other LJs have so many routers.

-- Regards Robert

#2 posted 09-24-2017 10:02 PM

Bragger!!
The usual two words will apply.

Otherwise:
Value for money great purchase.
A couple more pictures of whats behind the side plate would be good.
Come to think of it where are all the technical details please.

I was so impressed I had to go find them myself.

Specifications

Right Rip Capacity (Inches) 30
Maximum Blade Speed (RPM) 3600
Depth Control Yes
Spindle Lock Yes

Having two saws must be a real improvement in process work.
After making Raised panels I can see why other LJs have so many routers.

- robscastle

sorry rob I forgot how detail oriented you are.yeah its a luxury but I cant count how many times doing a project and changing the blade wishing I had an extra saw so I could just leave it.although I’m now crowding the wifes area so something has gotta go.need a shaper buddy?.

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#3 posted 09-25-2017 12:09 AM

Nice saw to be used as a dedicated dado saw. I only wish I had room to do the same. Many times I’ll use a router rather than have to change the blades. My ridgid has the same 2 1/2’’ port, wish they made it 4’’. Have fun with the new toy while I go change my blade again.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#4 posted 09-25-2017 12:45 AM

my main saw a mini max only has a throat width of 3-1/8” this saw is 3-3/4”.the old saw is a real pain in the ass for using dado setups so I look forward to this.i looked at a lot of cheaper saws and even though I had lost faith in delta I’m glad I went with this saw,it has a lot of features you only see on higher end saws,delta put some thought into this.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#5 posted 09-25-2017 01:05 AM

GRATZ :<))

-- Tony Reinholds,Pa. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#6 posted 09-25-2017 03:05 AM

I have same saw. I like it… except throat plate. Also, I have developed a problem with fence. It is square with table on input side of fence, but is out of square on outfeed side of fence. Thought sure all was square when I set up saw over a year ago, but was unable to use for over six months. Maybe it got damaged sitting in garage. Have not had time to deal with it.

I ripped cut a couple of longer boards and board cut edge is square on front end, and out on back end. Like, board edge has a twist. Board came off jointer square, TS ripped edge not.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#7 posted 09-25-2017 03:36 AM

dustyal I agree about the throat plate not crazy about the design on it so I’m gonna try and make my own zero clearance plates.not sure what your problem with the fence is though,mine seems to be very true,but I just got it set up with limited use so time will tell.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#8 posted 09-25-2017 01:46 PM

- dustyal

A couple months back I decided to do some minor upgrades to this saw. I made myself a ZCI and also replaced the face of the fence. I love the fence on this thing, but the aluminum faces tended to bow in the center, so I replaced them with 3/4” melamine. It was definitely worth the time.

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

#9 posted 09-25-2017 02:07 PM

- Dustin

a good tip ill keep an eye on this one in case that happens,but yeah im thinking about doing a new face regardless,thanks.

View dday's profile

dday

#10 posted 09-25-2017 04:14 PM

I tried a couple of times to make a ZCI for mine and failed miserably. Ended up ordering one and a dado insert as well. All is good.

#11 posted 09-25-2017 05:02 PM

- dday

im gonna give it a try if i succeed ill let you know.if theres a will theres a way-lol.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#12 posted 09-25-2017 05:19 PM

I haven’t seen ZCI for this saw available. Did see dado insert but lost reference. Can you post source for your order?

- pottz

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#13 posted 09-25-2017 05:25 PM

I haven t seen ZCI for this saw available. Did see dado insert but lost reference. Can you post source for your order?

- pottz

- dustyal

i havnt seen one either so im gonna try and make my own.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#14 posted 09-25-2017 05:35 PM

I have noticed when doing a rip cut on my saw that the wood tends to move away from the fence. This could be a dull blade or a fence that is not square with the blade. Although I have checked over and over the distance between the fence and blade, the non squareness of the wood still occurs. I’m convinced it’s the blade that is the culprit.

- dustyal

I have noticed when doing a rip cut on my saw that the wood tends to move away from the fence. This could be a dull blade or a fence that is not square with the blade. Although I have checked over and over the distance between the fence and blade, the non squareness of the wood still occurs. I’m convinced it’s the blade that is the culprit; specifically the set favors cutting pressure on one side of the blade than the other.

View dday's profile

dday

#15 posted 09-26-2017 04:34 PM

Sure—I found them here—

The Dado plate is available from the same place

The are pricey, but the fit and work perfectly