Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood by Raymond Levy

Review by Sivers posted 11-16-2009 07:26 PM 3951 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood by Raymond Levy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought this book was really neat. I love mechanical “things”. All the models in this are meant to be demonstrative of basic mechanical devices that make up the larger machines that are all around us. Cam Follower, Couplings, Scotch Yoke etc….

I am hoping my finished models will be “desk worthy” as I am an engineer and the others in my office would get a kick out of this. I have built a simple one and am partially through one of the more challenging ones. The plans are good and the instructions are pretty clear. I found they need to be followed pretty clearly. If he went to the trouble of discussing it, it needs to be done as per his intructions…They are fun projects and I find them challenging as they need to be precise for them to work smoothly. Most could be made with basic tools although I would say a drill press is a must and a band saw would probably make them easier. Some of the more difficult ones use gears, I think you would need a bandsaw for these but I have not braved them yet.

Unfortunately, the book is no longer in print. I picked mine up on ebay for about $12. I see it is still listed on Amazon but they don’t have any new ones in stock.

View Sivers's profile

View KellyS's profile

#1 posted 11-16-2009 07:54 PM

Sounds like a good book to me. I just added it to my stocking stuffer list.

-- He who dies with the most tools wins!.....Just wait, I'm going to win!..ERR my wife will at least.

View pashley's profile

#2 posted 11-17-2009 05:17 AM

I”m going to check it out at my library – thanks for sharing.

-- Have a blessed day!

View firecaster's profile

#3 posted 11-17-2009 06:13 PM

OK, I just bid on one on e-bay. Please don’t bid against me. (LOL, unless you just have to)

-- Father of two sons. Both Eagle Scouts.

View flintbone's profile

#4 posted 11-18-2009 01:31 PM

I have that book also but haven’t worked on any of the projects.
Keep us posted with your progress. I’m blowing the dust off my copy.

-- If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. - Albert Einstein

View Don Butler's profile

Don Butler

#5 posted 11-18-2009 02:33 PM

I just searched for it and found new ones at Amazon fo SEVENTY BUCKS!!!!!

Too spendy for this retired guy!

-- No trees were damaged in posting this message, but thousands of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

View WayneC's profile

#6 posted 11-30-2009 05:11 AM

Did you try searching There is one listed for $25.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#7 posted 11-30-2009 05:22 AM

Only one there is $35 still cheaper than e bay

-- Custom furniture

View renaissance_guy's profile

#8 posted 12-07-2009 04:01 AM

Here is one of those designs that I have built.

-- Life is about experiences.