Happy With My First Blade Purchase

Review by Jimi_C posted 11-16-2009 07:03 AM 1994 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Happy With My First Blade Purchase No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So as promised (in Knottscott's review of the Delta 35-7657), here’s my review of its 60-tooth cousin. The night Scott reviewed that blade, I noticed Tooliday had the 60-tooth version up for $25, plus $5 S/H. I had been looking at Freud blades that were about $20-30 more, so I thought what the heck, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve been using a single 40-tooth blade for everything (came with the tablesaw I bought used of Craigslist), along with painters tape to keep the chipping down. The tape plus using a cross-cut sled usually gives me decent results, but obviously it’s a less than optimal situation – it’s a pain in the rear to tape all the cuts, plus it uses a lot of tape up (especially when cutting sheets of plywood multiple times).

I’ve had it about a week, and just put it on my saw today. My first impression of the blade was its heft – it’s very solid being a full kerf blade – and it felt significantly heavier than my existing 40T blade. I needed to cut some 3” sections of 3/4” baltic birch plywood for nailing strips for some cabinets, so I loaded that up first. Sliding the sled forward, I wasn’t even sure if I’d made contact with the blade yet – it was that smooth cutting into the birch. I’m used to the pitch changing as the blade makes contact with the wood, which didn’t happen here. The blade sliced through the birch like a hot knife through butter, leaving a nice smooth cut. There was a tiny amount of chipping on the top surface of the birch, which is why this blade got 4 stars instead of 5. I tested it out on some maple as well, and it cut through it perfectly – absolutely smooth cut with no chipping. Bonus mini review – I took the opportunity to try out the Boeshield blade and bit cleaner I got, worked great at removing all the built up gunk on the old blade.

Overall, I’m very happy with the buy. I needed a proper crosscut blade, and I think this will serve me well. If I ever cut any plywood with exposed edges, I’ll still probably tape it to make sure there’s no chipping visible. Worst case scenario, if/when I get a really good blade I’ll throw this on my chop saw.

#1 posted 11-16-2009 07:06 AM

thanks for the review Jimi

#2 posted 11-16-2009 07:45 AM

”I’ll throw this on my chop saw.”
You might want to use caution and read your owners manual for the proper blade to use on your chop saw. This Delta has a +10degree hook angle and most chopsaws use a zero or negative hook angle on them . For instance , mine uses a negative 5 degree hook angle.

Delta $15 rebate offered on your new blade : )
and here’s the rebate form

#3 posted 11-16-2009 08:59 AM

Hah! Awesome Dusty, thanks! Also, I’ll have to check the owners manual for the blade type, I didn’t know that about chop saws.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5518 posts in 2072 days

#4 posted 11-16-2009 06:04 PM

Nice deal and a nice review! I’ve never regretted the purchase of a high quality blade, especially deals like this one. $15 back would make it an incredible deal! I’ve tried and liked several of the top Freud industrial blades, and find many to be excellent…IME these Delta industrial blades (formerly the DeWalt series 60 blades) are roughly comparable. This one would be directly comparable to the Freud LU73. Hard to pass up deals like this!

Regarding hook angle…10° hook for standard CMS should be fine. Sliders and RAS are where a low to negative hook is more important.

Congrats on being the 1000th review too!

#5 posted 11-16-2009 06:32 PM

Thanks again Scott, I just got done looking through the manual for the CMS I have and it doesn’t mention anything about required hook angles, so I’m assuming this would be fine in it should I decide to use it there (it’s of the non-sliding variety). Really I do all my cross cutting on my tablesaw and leave the CMS for cutting up framing studs, since those don’t have to be pretty :)

#6 posted 11-16-2009 08:45 PM

You’re welcome : ) Your original CMS blade might have the hook angle printed on the face for reference.
Either way ….stay safe and enjoy your new blade !

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5518 posts in 2072 days

#7 posted 11-16-2009 09:13 PM

You can watch a video of how the Delta blades are made at their website…pretty cool. Click on “How Your Blade Is Made”.

#8 posted 11-17-2009 08:22 AM

Nice video … thank you : )