Grizzly G0690 Tablesaw Review

Review by unclearthur posted 09-16-2017 06:43 AM 1716 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0690 Tablesaw Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Pros:
- Grizzly customer service is unfailingly polite
- I learned a lot about tablesaws. Nothing like taking one apart to learn how they operate.
- I’ve got a lot of practice using my bandsaw
- adrenalin rush when you realize you’ve switched off the saw but the blade isn’t stopping!

Cons:
- brand new Grizzly G0690 tablesaw was unsafe to use
- 2 months of wasted time
- Having to return the 500 lb saw at my own time and expense to Grizzly

Much of this saga is told in real time on this LJ thread, but I wanted to provide a shorter summary, which would be easier to find for those considering purchasing a Grizzly G0690 tablesaw.

A few pics and videos:

My first cabinet saw! Brand new saw, paid full price. Assembly was fine. Looked sharp.

This is a picture of the table insert, nicked by the freespinning blade after the arbor nut fell off – which happened repeatedly. Lots of energy in a spinning blade ….....

Getting inside the saw – just what I didn’t want to be doing on a brand new purchase.

This is how the replacement part they sent me showed up. For me, this picture really says it all. They just don’t care.

And the replacement part, a gear bearing assembly, didn’t fit properly, with the (stationary) riving knife components actually making contact with the (spinning) arbor.

Summary
- Bad quality control on original machine (bearing problem)
- Bad customer service – Grizzly tech support telling me not to worry about the ‘slow start’,instead of finding the source of the problem on a brand new machine and dealing with it
- Disregard for safety – Grizzly tech support asking me to make a video of running the saw with the dado blade when I’d told them that the arbor nut is repeatedly loosening / falling off
- Screwing the customer – After identifying the bearing as being the problem, Grizzly told me the saw needed to be replaced; they then backtracked after finding that the shipping was “too expensive”
- Disregard for safety – after reneging on sending me a replacement, they told me to try to fix the saw by hitting the arbor with a hammer. Not exactly a high confidence solution.
- Carelessness – not properly packaging the replacement part they shipped me
- Bad quality control – shipping me a replacement assembly which was not put together properly
- Arrogance – refusing to provide contact info for a manager
- Arrogance – not responding to my complaint letter

Any manufacturer can produce a bad machine, but what made me lose faith in Grizzly was their general refusal to simply do the right thing and take responsibility for the problem that they created. I live 2 hours away from their Bellingham location. They could easily have fixed this problem but did not.

View unclearthur's profile

unclearthur

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 09-16-2017 11:09 AM

You went through a lot and more than anyone should. Grizzly should have done more.

Grizzly seems to work fine for most and then once in awhile this happens. I will not buy Grizzly because this happens. Yes, I know that it does not happen very often but…..

View Fiddy's profile

Fiddy

#2 posted 09-16-2017 11:46 AM

Very fair review of their product, but more importantly quality and service after the sale. Hopefully someone over there realizes this is what can be detrimental to their success once they read what we all read here.

Look for something old and American on CL – haha.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 09-16-2017 05:40 PM

I remember your original thread on this. It was a good idea to start a new thread as a review to give the “executive summary” of your saga. I am sorry for your difficulties and appreciate the information that you are providing here.

You might also want to report an unsafe product to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission here:

Edit:
I just saw that you are in Canada – not sure how that affects reporting the safety issue.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

#4 posted 09-17-2017 03:53 AM

I wouldn’t accept that from the likes of Ryobi, Black and Decker, Skil or Central Machinery. Grizzly should do MUCH better with QC and customer support.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View david_larch's profile

david_larch

102 posts in 2080 days

#5 posted 09-17-2017 04:06 AM

Excellent summary. I had a very similar experience.

-- www.alibiwoodworks.com

View Cadkook's profile

Cadkook

#6 posted 09-17-2017 04:58 PM

The old saying” you get what you pay for”.
As my work demands increased, my equipment had to follow. My shop is slowly going from “green to blue”
The accuracy is like night and day. Reliable cuts & sizes. Increases confidence tenfold!
Final replacement pieces will be a 12” jointer and a 25” planer

“Square-it & Glue-it”

View jonah's profile

jonah

#7 posted 09-18-2017 12:56 PM

I’m not sure of the timing of when all this occurred, but I would at least consider trying to recover the (substantial) shipping costs from Grizzly via small claims court. They failed to honor their product’s basic warranty of merchantability (basically, it does what it says it does within the expectations of a reasonable person). See here for more:

Under those circumstances, I think you’d have a slam-dunk case in front of a magistrate.

View Cato's profile

Cato

#8 posted 09-20-2017 11:31 AM

I looked hard at this saw a few years back and many seemed very pleased with their purchase. However there were just enough reports of flaws and issues on brand new sawa and deliveries that I wasn’t completely sold on it.

I wanted a saw with better dust collection and a bit sturdier construction and ended up spending a bit more, $1900, on a commercial Jet Xacta tablesaw. Very sturdy and flawless construction with 5 year warranty and outstanding customer service.

Sorry you had to go thru this hassle.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#9 posted 09-24-2017 08:18 PM

Sounds like an incredibly frustrating story. Grizzly seems to be a mixed experience; most reviews mention something that was wrong/broken etc but overall their price point is low enough and generally their CS is good enough that most of the reviews are positive. I’ve shied away from buying Grizzly b/c even with great CS, I don’t want the time and hassle of having to fix/ship back a machine, esp. from Canada. Seems like Grizzly’s business model is to manufacture things cheaply and make up for the regular flaws in their products by having reasonably good CS. Have heard too many stories on this site similar to yours; Grizzly is good at fixing the small stuff but if you get a complete lemon, you are out of luck.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#10 posted 10-02-2017 04:54 PM

OK guys I am a Grizzly fan and have a lot of equipment from them. However, that said I to have had a few problems. My 10” cabinet Saw is the 1023 purchased in 1985. This last weekend I had to replace two Motor starter capacitors and take some sand paper to the centrifugal switch and points because after 30 some years these just wore out.

However, when I bought my really upscale 14 1/2 ” Band saw one of the carriage knobs had never been tapped. Fortunately I am a machinist and just tapped the knob myself. But not everyone would have Metric Taps and knowledge to do this.

So after 30 years the table saw needed some TLC and the Band saw QC was out of control. I have many Grizzly products and have usually been very happy with the products over the years.