Rockler Lathe Dust Hood Item 67899

Review by FJPetruso posted 1715 days ago 2770 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Lathe Dust Hood Item 67899 Rockler Lathe Dust Hood Item 67899 Rockler Lathe Dust Hood Item 67899 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve found this clear lathe dust collection hood very useful. It take a little bit of planning when setting it up on a lathe such as extending the tail stock support out to make room for your tool rest support and it helps a lot to have a flexible work light that can be kept low & to the rear of the lathe. This keeps the glare off of the flip-down clear shield making it easy to use, see photo. I made a wooden bracket out of the scrap end of an oak newel post, also see photo. The bracket supports the weight of the dust collection hood without having to clamp it down tight. With this wooden bracket you can now slide the hood back & forth easily when turning longer items. The vacuum for the dust collection is concentrated enough to see that the chips are flying right into the hood & not in your face. (Of course quite a bit of shavings go toward your feet but very little goes toward your face.) This dust hood works well enough for me.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Frank,

Thanks for the review; I can see that this would be useful for spindle turning. How wll do you think it works for bowls and hollow forms?

View FJPetruso's profile

FJPetruso

Chris,

It might work out OK. A bracket of some sort may have to be made so it could be angled.

-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"

View spalted's profile

spalted

I got this lathe dust hood for Christmas but have had my eye on it for a long time. I liked the idea of the magnetic base so it could be removed and repositioned quickly but the bracket required significant tweaking for it work on my lathe (Nova 1624). This hood was definitely intended for a mini lathe as it didn’t even come close to reaching the centers on my lathe. I bought some 4” bolts and made a spacer block out of scrap wood which seems to work great so far. I also had to adjust the angle of the bracket which was no big deal. As for the dust/chip collection I am surprised at how well it worked. Almost nothing got to the floor with the shield in the down position. I was only expecting to catch fine dust while sanding but it’s grabbing even larger chips & shavings from my roughing gouge. I have a grizzly 2hp dc and the lathe port is at the end of about a 18’ foot run with 4 other drops (4” main line). Its not the greatest DC set up, which is also why I wasn’t expecting this much out of the hood. Overall, I’m pleased with the performance of the hood but the brackets could’ve been made longer to accommodate larger lathes.