Finally Aldi had some arrive

Review by NormG posted 09-15-2017 09:55 PM 2059 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Finally Aldi had some arrive No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Seaonal item, they came in and wife picked them when shopping today, she noticed they were there. $6.99 for the set. They are 8mm, 13mm, 18mm, 24mm chisels. Nice handles, while they are sharp out of the packaging, they will of course need to be honed.

So, I have been given the all go by the doctor to get bak in the shop. I have not benn able to do so for about 11 months due to the cold weather we had and then when I incurred a medical issue in March.of 2017.

Will update after I get a chance to hone them and use them.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View BenDupre's profile

BenDupre

#1 posted 09-15-2017 10:17 PM

Ha! I got some too. In IL. Picked up 2 packs. The legendary Aldi chisels made famous by Paul Sellers. I must say I was disappointed to find them Metric but o well. I have plenty of imperial chisels.

-- The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred. – George Bernard Shaw

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 09-16-2017 02:17 AM

I’m going to have to try Aldis for more than groceries!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#3 posted 09-16-2017 08:43 PM

Mine were sharp unpacked. You can see the milling marks but they will come out after honing. Nice chisel weight, mm vs inches still usable. Wife remembered them fortunately.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#4 posted 09-17-2017 05:59 PM

Just picked up 2 sets. Had to go to two Aldi’s to find any and the last place only had the two sets. So I took them both. I see they’re made in China, and if I recall these were made in Europe at one time, but I’ll give one set a shot and see how they stand up. For 6.99, you just can’t go wrong.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View ScottKaye's profile

ScottKaye

#5 posted 09-18-2017 07:28 PM

Same as the others, went to my local Aldi and bought the last three sets.. one was for a friend at work, the other two Im keeping. I was impressed with how big these things are. I was expecting short handled mini chisels. These are full size with good weight. good enough for bench chisels anyway!

-- "Nothing happens until you build it"

View Gilley23's profile

Gilley23

#6 posted 09-27-2017 10:13 PM

Stopped at Aldi on the way home, they had 4 or 5 sets on the shelf. I picked up a set….I mean for $7 you can’t go wrong even if they turned out to be beaters.

Thanks for the heads up!

#7 posted 09-27-2017 10:31 PM

I hope they work out for all of you, usually I find cheap chisels don’t work to well but I have seen some good reviews on a low-cost HF chisel sets so who knows the Aldi’s might be a good too.

View muesli's profile

muesli

#8 posted 10-15-2017 08:56 AM

I’m not really a woodworker. Especially not an experienced one. But I bought the Aldi (large Paul Sellers fan!) and also some of Cherries (bought them used, but they were obviously unused). I have already done some work with both types (e.g. my workbench) and like to use them both. Although I have a guide, I use the freehand sharpening method Paul Sellers also introduced. This works very well for me. The final treatment on a strop makes a huge difference! I can really recommend the Aldi chisels.

View fuigb's profile

fuigb

#9 posted 10-21-2017 01:12 AM

Three stars for… what?

-- - Crud. Go tell your mother that I need a Band-aid.