Digital readout for my router table

Review by GaryK posted 1616 days ago 4735 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Digital readout for my router table Digital readout for my router table Digital readout for my router table Click the pictures to enlarge them

My woodpeckers PRL router lift is pretty accurate with it’s little gauge, but I liked some of the features of a digital readout.

I actually bought this about 3 months ago and just got around to mounting it the other day. Now that it’s a lot cooler I will start putting a lot more time in the shop.

One of the things that I liked most about it is the ABS/INC (Absolute or Incremental) function. Every time you change your bit on the router it changes your Zero setting on your readout. Now if you wanted you could zero it out then take a test cut and crank it down to zero and set zero. If you plan on using the bit for a lot of things then it’s worth it. But it you are only going to make a cut or two, then I’ll just take a first pass, measure it, push the ABS button to set my zero at that point. Then just adjust it for the difference. Also when you press the ABS again it goes back to your old setting.

One nice thing that it does is measure even with the power off. Say you adjust your height with the power off and then turn it back on, well it will show the corrected height.

The only reason I gave this a 4 is because you have to mount it. Now I understand that this is kind of a universal thing and they couldn’t just tell you how to mount it. I did have to drill and tap 4 holes, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. You can’t see it in the middle picture above but I used a ‘Z’ bracket to attach it to the router clamp.

Another thing I like is that it takes the same battery as my Wixey digital readout I have on my planer.

I got mine from MLCS for $49 with free shipping.
You can also get them from Eagle America but I don’t know how much their shipping is.

Here are two holes I drilled to mount it. I could have made them blind holes, but I didn’t see any reason to take all the extra effort.

There they are at the top.

Another nice feature if you like fractions, is that it will display them as you reach them.

Here I just cut a small slot for the wire on the readout. I haven’t really thought about mounting it permanently because I figure as soon as I do I will have to take it off for some one time cut. The wire is long enough that I could put it almost anywhere so until I figure out what I want to do with it, I will just attach it anywhere. It does have two magnets on the back so I can stick it to something to keep it out of the way until I need it.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Great review Gary!! I just checked the site of MCLS. they have lots of high-tech gadgets:-))

Great review Gary. I built one of these and put it on my router over a year ago. I paid a lot more for the parts than what they are going for now as a kit.

Neat idea, and they work great.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

1082 posts in 2046 days

I have the same one Gary, it is on my router table, I have a post for the wiring etc from floor to ceiling that I mounted the readout on, that way it is out of the way so I don’t damage it. I am now wondering if it could be mounted on my dewalt planer.

-- Smitty!!!

109273 posts in 2078 days

Thanks Gary
A super tool and good review.

View Richforever's profile

Richforever

Thanks! It’s nice knowing if these things are worth it; and how much effort is needed to use them properly.

-- Rich, Seattle, WA

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

It was good to read your review. I have the wixey angle gague, height gague and calipers and use them often. I have been looking at the router and planer gagues and debating as to when I should get them. Your review has further tipped my scales in the buy-it direction.
Thanks!

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View cabinetmaster's profile

cabinetmaster

10874 posts in 2059 days

Great review. I think I may have to get one myself.

-- Jerry--A man can never have enough tools or clamps

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Great review!

I’m trying to figure out how much $$$ I would pay if only the digital rip fence gauge on my Bosch 4100 table saw would do that…... Turns out to be a royal discomfort in the backside….

-- -- Neil

View Mike Pientka's profile

Mike Pientka

A thorough review. Thanks

-- Engineer by day, Woodworker by night, Original Approach LLC, Windsor CO, www.original-approach.com