Great little belt sander for the money

Review by papadan posted 09-15-2017 06:44 PM 1714 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great little belt sander for the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Harbor Freight 1” X 30” bench top belt sander seems to be a pretty good machine. Well built and designed, it is easy to set up and use. Works equally well on sanding or grinding metal and wood items. The belts are reasonably priced and hold up quite well in use. The price of this machine is $54.99 and with the 20% coupon I paid $43 and change. I did rate this machine with 4 stars instead of 5. While it is easy to use, easy to change belts, and the dust collection works pretty good with my small shop vac, the motor appears to be a bit weak. Good speed and as long as you let the belt do it’s job, works good, if you get in a hurry and apply too much pressure, the motor stalls. Overall I have to recommend this sander to anyone for wood or metal working. Great machine for the price.

#1 posted 09-15-2017 06:53 PM

thanks for the review papa,sounds like a great deal for the money,i may have to pick one up.

View BenDupre's profile

BenDupre

#2 posted 09-15-2017 07:01 PM

Hey I have that one. I wonder if it could be made into a sharpening rig for bowl gouges…

-- The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred. – George Bernard Shaw

#3 posted 09-15-2017 07:05 PM

No reason not to use it Ben. Put a finer belt on it and sharpen away, plenty of adjustment in the table or freehand it.

View lew's profile

lew

#4 posted 09-15-2017 07:08 PM

Thanks for the review!

So far I’ve had pretty good luck with the things I have purchased from Harbor Freight.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#5 posted 09-15-2017 07:11 PM

Hi Lew, I was getting ready to build a one” belt sander, even turned the rollers. But found this one and decided to try it out. Glad I did, the motor was going to cost more than this unit.

#6 posted 09-15-2017 07:47 PM

Good review
I have one it works fine, but not sure it would hold up to heavy use, fortunately, I don’t use mine all the time.
Sometimes I use it in conjunction with one of these.

View Combo Prof's profile

Combo Prof

#7 posted 09-16-2017 01:23 AM

Don’t drop it or let it fall off the bench. The cheap plastic casing around the motor will break as will the adjustment lever. DAKMHIK. It still works however. Someday I’ll make a repair. But I did like it.

-- Don K, (Houghton, Michigan)

#8 posted 09-16-2017 02:41 AM

Don t drop it or let it fall off the bench. The cheap plastic casing around the motor will break as will the adjustment lever. DAKMHIK. It still works however. Someday I ll make a repair. But I did like it.

- Combo Prof

thanks for the feedback I like all opinions before I make a decision.

#9 posted 09-16-2017 03:42 AM

- Combo Prof

I promise I wont ask! ;-)

#10 posted 09-16-2017 03:46 AM

- Combo Prof

I promise I wont ask! ;-)

- papadan

ok ,second thoughts,thank you for your imput.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#11 posted 09-16-2017 04:29 AM

Sometimes, good enough, is good enough…eh?

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#12 posted 09-16-2017 11:03 AM

I have one and it is a nice tool. I made a adapter for my vacuum and dust collection works well.

Good review and good tool.

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#13 posted 09-16-2017 02:16 PM

Just on a Side Track, How do y’all get the “Clerks” to give y’all the 20/25 % off on an already discounted Item? The Clerks down here in the South, tell me “The coupon cannot be used on a coupon item”

#14 posted 09-16-2017 02:45 PM

I have the same problem, they wont take the discount on a sale or coupon discounted item, only regular priced things. The regular price on this sander is $54.99 here in KY, I was able to use the 20% coupon on it and paid $43.99 for it.

View BenDupre's profile

BenDupre

#15 posted 09-16-2017 02:47 PM

Just on a Side Track, How do y all get the “Clerks” to give y all the 20/25 % off on an already discounted Item? The Clerks down here in the South, tell me “The coupon cannot be used on a coupon item”

- Dautterguy

HF will give you the cupon price or the 20% off the regular price whichever is cheaper. Typically the cupon price is better.