Craftsman Tool Storage (or I can do it by myself)

Review by Viking posted 11-13-2009 10:35 PM 8888 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Tool Storage (or I can do it by myself) Craftsman Tool Storage (or I can do it by myself) Craftsman Tool Storage (or I can do it by myself) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been “making do” with a Craftsman 26” x 16” rolling cabinet and 26” x 12 tool chest that was purchased in 1971 but, decided that after 38 years it was time for more tool storage. Initially looked at some of the stainless tool cabinets at both Sears and Lowe’s but finally selected the Craftsman 40” wide black steel set listed above because the 1971 Craftsman steel set is still in excellent condition with no rust which is something in our Texas humidity.

Picked up the three large boxes at Sear Store in Houston yesterday and it took three of us to load the rolling tool cabinet on the back of my truck. The two Sears warehouse guys asked if I had some help to unload and I told them no I could manage by myself. They looked at each other and laughed as they walked off. Obviously they didn’t know what I know. That probably sounds arrogant BUT, we have front end loaders on two of our three tractors and the loader is better than a second person in a case like this. The front end loader made for simple and safe unloading from that back of our pickup to the ground and also assisted with stacking the cabinets.

I had researched tool storage and after selecting the Craftsman set checked the reviews on the Craftsman web site. This set generally had very good reviews but did notice that several had noted that they had many drawers that were jammed / bent and could not open so I proceeded with caution when unpacking the three boxes, documenting every step with my digital camera. All three pieces were unpacked and found absolutely nothing wrong with any of the drawers etc.

This set has the “Grip Latch” drawers with roller bearings which is a significant improvement over the old style drawer glides. You can move the unit around and the drawers do not try to open.

I wanted to install draw liners and looked at the Craftsman pre-cut drawer line sheets in both foam and non-skid material but, ended up selecting the Kobelt “Zerust” drawer lining material from Lowe’s. This saved about 50% over the Craftsman liner which had no corrosion protection. It has taken less than three of the 22 1/2” x 118” rolls at about $15 / roll.

Best features;

1. The roller bearing “Grip Latch” drawers open smoothly with full extension slides so you can easily access items at the back of the drawer.

2. Large 5 1/2’ x 2” casters set (2 locking swivel, 2 fixed) allow excellent portability of this very large set.

3. The fit and finish is excellent.

4. The set was on sale for $899.00 for all three pieces which was almost half price.

5. With 23 drawers I have room for tools yet to be purchased which, after all, is why we exist in our shops.

If you have the ability, choose in-store pick-up over letting them ship to you. Think that shipping damage was probably cause of most of the poor reviews.

Overall this is an excellent tool storage unit and I can recommend it highly, especially if you can get it on sale.

This is my first post and first review so hope it is helpful to those of you in the market for tool storage solution.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

Thanks for the review

View khop's profile

khop

#2 posted 11-14-2009 12:50 AM

Viking, Thanks for the review. You had a good point on the bad reviews probably from careless shipping. Now how about some pictures of your shop. I’m waiting.
KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#3 posted 11-14-2009 05:40 AM

I purchased the same set about a month ago and did have the shipping problem on the lower unit. The cabinet was racked so the drawer slides were behind the face frame and could not open. I also specifically requested matching keys and was told that was the case if you ordered it as a combo. This wasn’t the case. But they ordered me a new lower unit, had to wait a week, and threw in a set of locks. changing them wasnt’ too bad. Good thing I bought them on sale. Glad to hear successes from the Craftsman toolboxes of the past. My father has had his about 20 years and still is in good shape. If it had been my money instead of my work’s, I might have been screaming a little more and threatened to return everything, but I did realize it was a deal compared to what I could find used and or at the cheapie stores like Harbor Frieght.