Suizan Japanese Pull saws

Review by HassanMirza posted 09-12-2017 04:04 PM 1434 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Suizan Japanese Pull saws Suizan Japanese Pull saws Suizan Japanese Pull saws Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have gotten into cutting dovetails, and as you all familiar with the cost of the Western style push saw. I have read about how amazing the Japanese pulls saws are, so I got some, I am extremely happy with the quality of the saw, they are well made and the attention to detail has been really good. These saws are actually made in Japan not just stamped out in China. The blades on both of the saws were sharp and they cut through the maple with ease, I am extremely surprised and please with the ripping ability of the Ryoba it makes very quick work. I am sure there are a ton of saws on the market that you can purchase but I wanted to make sure that I was getting a good saw and that was made in Japan. I thinks these two saws are worth the money and for 60 dollars you are getting two saws. I think that is a very good deal. Whenever I do a review I like to leave links for where I got the product or where you can get it from. These are not affiliate links, I do not make a penny off this. I just want to share a great find and hopefully help other woodworkers out. Hassan

Dovetail saw :

Ryoba:

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#1 posted 09-12-2017 04:40 PM

Sorry I didn’t comment on the Suizan saws, as I have never used one, so I can’t comment on them, but if you say they work good, that’s good enough for me.

#2 posted 09-12-2017 05:13 PM

I was browsing at Harbor Freight and saw some Japanese style pull saws. I looked at a 9” Dozuki and noted they were made in China, but one stood out and I looked at it; it was made in Japan, so I bought it for $10. Beautiful saw, cuts well as a flush cut saw. Do not assume that everything sold by HF is from China. I also have a Ryoba sold under the Vaughn name that is made in Japan. Again, a good saw for little money; bought that at a big box store. Sorry I didn t comment on the Suizan saws, as I have never used one, so I can t comment on them, but if you say they work good, that s good enough for me.

- MrRon

Oh I am sure the others are good as well, I just have not had experience with them.

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

303 posts in 1921 days

#3 posted 09-13-2017 01:05 PM

Are you able to sharpen these saws, or can you send them out? Or maybe you just get a replacement blade for $19 when it gets dull? I’ve wondered if I would like the pull style saws better than Western style, I find myself wishing my saws would cut on the backstroke. Seems like the right price for me to give it a try!

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#4 posted 09-13-2017 01:52 PM

Thanks – good info and suggestions.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#5 posted 09-13-2017 02:37 PM

Are you able to sharpen these saws, or can you send them out? Or maybe you just get a replacement blade for $19 when it gets dull? I ve wondered if I would like the pull style saws better than Western style, I find myself wishing my saws would cut on the backstroke. Seems like the right price for me to give it a try!

- smitdog

I have a Z saw, and I pull it out for all kinds of things because it works so well. As for sharpening, I buy replacement blades for two reasons: 1) sharpening, 2) it is easy to bend the tip of the blade when using it for more general work. It takes 10 seconds to change the blade. Wish they were a bit cheaper.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#6 posted 09-13-2017 04:26 PM

I will make you a promise. I will not assume everything at HF is made in China (I love HF by the way) if we all don’t assume everything made in Japan is good product. I know, I know, you are comparing Japanese built products to Chinese built products and generally Japanese products win in the quality comparison. Still, Japan makes it’s fair share of crap to. Let’s not forget that.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

#7 posted 09-13-2017 05:13 PM

- smitdog

I am not sure, they have replacement blades on amazon, I think for the cost of the new blade it might not me worth it unless you can do it yourself. I have no experience sharpening saws. when it goes dull I might try it.

#8 posted 09-13-2017 05:13 PM

Thanks – good info and suggestions.

- jimintx

No problem!

#9 posted 09-13-2017 05:17 PM

I will make you a promise. I will not assume everything at HF is made in China (I love HF by the way) if we all don t assume everything made in Japan is good product. I know, I know, you are comparing Japanese built products to Chinese built products and generally Japanese products win in the quality comparison. Still, Japan makes it s fair share of crap to. Let s not forget that.

- Dwain

Oh I agree, I was just review these saws compared to some of the others I have seen, Hey I have my share of HF stuff as well.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#10 posted 09-13-2017 07:10 PM

I don’t believe pull type saws can be re-sharpened. The teeth are not of the form that can be sharpened by conventional sharpening machines. Maybe in Japan, they can.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#11 posted 09-15-2017 02:58 AM

Generally these saws are made to be disposable. The teeth are hardened, so a file won’t touch them. Maybe a diamond file would, never tried it. But I have japanese saws I’ve used pretty heavily for 5+ years that show no signs of dulling.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)