Dust Deputy

Review by Jim posted 1743 days ago 4263 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy Dust Deputy No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Multiple reviews already of the $99 Dust Deputy system sold by Oneida – thought I’d throw my two cents in on the $59 version that is just the cyclone sold separately. For the cost of a $5 painter’s bucket from Lowe’s and the time it takes to make a plywood lid, you have the same result as buying the complete kit with arguably a better lid/long term durability.

I routed a groove in the plywood as someone else had suggested and put a layer of weather stripping in the bottom of that groove to help seal the lip. The j-bolts are not really necessary for sealing but they do help in moving the unit by making it easy to just grab it by the lid.

In terms of performance, I couldn’t be happier – I’m without my normal dust collector while we live here in Hawaii and with just a small Ridgid shop vac hooked up it sucks up dust/debris better than the vacuum would/could by itself while keeping the filter and inside of the vacuum free of any dust – very impresive.

For those who bristle at the high cost of a piece of plastic as I did, get over it and just spend the money, you’ll be happy you did… :-)

Cheers,

-- Jim

View Jim's profile

View khop's profile

khop

Jim, Good move on buying the DD. I have the metal one with the metal tank/bucket. Like you said, almost no dust in the shop vac. I put an internal bag in the shop vac, now I don’t even need to clean the filter either. I use mine as a centeral vac system. I ran 1-1/2” pvc to multiple spots in the shop and use a long hose for general clean up. I connected the vac to a remote control for $10. The small vac system also works great with my biscuit jointer and Kreg pocket hole jig. No dust or chips to clean up. Congrats, and thanks for the review. KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

How often do you need to empty using a planer? I’d imagine that 5 gallons fills up fast.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

112010 posts in 2203 days

Good review Jim

View Aaron Taylor's profile

Aaron Taylor

Since you make your own lid and all, I wonder if it would be possible to use a larger trashcan or maybe even a 55 gallon drum?!?

Do the instructions list specifications as to what size container you can use with the system?

Just some thoughts.

Aaron

-- "Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."--Cary Grant from the movie Arsenic and Old Lace

View Jim's profile

Jim

Aaron – good thought on the larger can idea; I think the only issue is how well the whole thing is sealed so tha the “smaller” CFM of a shop vac isn’t lost in a 55-gallon drum, otherwise it should work the same. My temporary situation is trying to opearate out of a small work space without my full complement of floor tools and real dust collector that I normally have. This works great for the time being but as dbhost asked above, it necessitates more frequent emptying than my full-size dust collector.

DBHost – you’re right, the bucket fills somewhat quickly but since I’m only using “smaller” tools with it, the pace of fill is tolerable and easy to monitor with a translucent bucket – far better than guessing when the shop vac is full…other than the clue that it isn’t picking up dust anymore!

-- Jim