Works well but is made of cheap junk that breaks easily

Review by iminmyshop posted 09-11-2017 04:04 AM 1964 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works well but is made of cheap junk that breaks easily Works well but is made of cheap junk that breaks easily No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Routers kick up a dust storrn that is both annoying and unhealthy. So when I saw a video for Oneida’s new router dust shroud I was excited and immediately bought one. It worked well but the plastic it is made of is so flimsy that the shroud popped out with use. Later, on the first day of use, part of the shroud cracked when the router was set on its side (gently). The sad part is that when it was working, the shroud was very effective.

Another problem is that the recess for the screws that attach it to the router are very shallow. If you are not careful, if there is any screw protrusion it will scratch up your workpiece – as I found out the hard way.

In summary, this is a great idea not well executed.

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 09-11-2017 02:13 PM

I purchased the Bosch accessory DC attachments and thought they are decent quality, they are fussy to set up and use. If you don’t adjust them close, they don’t catch the dust… but then you need to change the setup with just about every bit change.

Ever since I build a decent router table cab, with DC both below the router and at the fence, I find it’s just easier to do even the simple little jobs on the router table.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View richimage's profile

richimage

#2 posted 09-13-2017 05:36 PM

+1 on the router table! The only thing I do off the table is rabbets, hinge cutouts, etc.

-- "Women are like modern paintings. You can't enjoy them if you try to understand them." Farrokh Bulsara (Freddie Mercury)

View papadan's profile

papadan

#3 posted 09-13-2017 06:23 PM

Thanks for the warn…...uh….review!

View OneidaAirSystems's profile

OneidaAirSystems

#4 posted 11-03-2017 04:26 PM

Alan (@iminmyshop),

We are very sorry to hear of your issues with our Router Hood – our product is molded from an industrial polycarbonate material (the same as safety glasses) and it should not have broken so easily. Oneida Air Systems would be more than happy to offer you a replacement Router Hood, free of charge, so that you can have the dust-free performance you deserve.

Please reach out to us at support@oneida-air.com or call our service line at 866-387-8822.

-- Revolutionary Dust Collection Since 1993

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

#5 posted 11-04-2017 02:30 PM

I’ve been considering a small cyclone setup for sanding/CMS and have been leaning towards the Oneida Dust Deputy. Customer outreach/service like this sets the hook!

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

#6 posted 11-07-2017 06:13 PM

The manufacturer and I have been in touch. They are sending a new unit at no cost. I appreciate the effort. Hopefully, my unit was anomalous and the next holds up well.

-- http://www.alansfinewoodworking.com/

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2092 posts in 3092 days

#7 posted 02-19-2018 06:18 PM

RABBIT TRAIL (but still Oneida and dust collection):

Been using the Dust Deputy for over ten years and it’s a shop must.

I had been using a Paint Shaver Pro to remove paint from cedar shingles and it clogged my big shop vac in just a few minutes. To get more run time, I built a water filter to pull the air through using a 30 gallon, plastic drum. That worked, but the mud and foam were something else (operation was successful, but the patient died).

In the course of looking for a solution, I came across the Deputy and figured I’d chance it. I went with the metal version, since it would be a job site unit.

It worked so well I bought their Dust Gorilla and a Super Dust Deputy [SDD] for the shop. I’ll be adding another SDD in the future.

I ve been considering a small cyclone setup for sanding/CMS and have been leaning towards the Oneida Dust Deputy. Customer outreach/service like this sets the hook!

- splintergroup