New table saw and CMS blades at Busy Bee - Canada Blue Torando.

Review by Bob #2 posted 11-12-2009 11:33 PM 3884 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New table saw and CMS  blades at Busy Bee - Canada Blue Torando. New table saw and CMS  blades at Busy Bee - Canada Blue Torando. New table saw and CMS  blades at Busy Bee - Canada Blue Torando. Click the pictures to enlarge them

A pleasant surprise at a very decent price at Busy Bee Tools.
I have been thinking about a new general purpose blade for a couple of months and spotted this one at the trade show here about a week ago.
The blade and teeth are reportedly from German technology and fabricated in China.
I noticed right away that the carbide tips were longer and seemed marginally thicker than most thin kerf blades I had been looking at. I must measure my old one.
They have an anti vibration laser kerf in the body to reduce harmonics.
I ran some cherry and oak on the week end with it and it was ultra smooth compared with my recently sharpened crosscut that I just took off the table saw.

At under $40.00 I think it is a very decent blade.
P.s. I also picked one up for the 12” SMCS for roughly the same price.

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

#1 posted 11-13-2009 12:04 AM

Thanks for the review, I was wondering about their blades. Also the free shipping on router bits is a bonus.
Bruce

-- Wood Chuck (Bruce) http://3dwoodworkingplans.com

#2 posted 11-13-2009 08:07 PM

Always wondered if these blades were any good. Bob do you have a direct comparison with a blade you have used before? I have some ridgid and freud blades. If you can compare directly to those that would be great.

#3 posted 11-13-2009 08:26 PM

Rex,the blade that came off my saw was a 40 tooth Tenyru ATB.
It was on its 3 rd sharpening and getting a bit old .
I had it sharpened about 3 weeks ago and it just didn’t cut as well as I felt it should.
I haven’t tried the 12” yet but it will replace the stock Hitachi blade that was “O.K.” on the SCMS.
For the $37.00 or so you might want to give one a try yourself.
I didn’t find a Freud blade even close to that number.

Cheers
Bob

#4 posted 11-13-2009 08:54 PM

Thanks for the update Bob. I think I’ll buy one and use it between sharpenings. From there I will decide if it takes a permenent place in my saw.

BTW; who do you use for sharpening. Services in Canada are so hard to find.

#5 posted 11-13-2009 09:01 PM

I have used Adams sharpening for several years and they have amalgamated with All blades to form a more robust uint.
17408 – 111 Avenue Edmonton, AB

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5518 posts in 2071 days

#8 posted 11-15-2009 03:04 AM

Nice review Bob. Looks like a nice deal for our LJ’s in Canada…not so good if you pay to have it shipped south of the border.

I ordered one early last spring based on the comments on the Canadian WWing site…first cuts weren’t so good with this one. Since my saw had been “hibernating” all winter, I double checked everything and tried again…rip cuts were leaving unsatisfactory saw marks that I could see easily and could feel…not glue ready. Crosscuts were fairly low in tearout, but the saw marks were still there. I swapped in another couple of blades with no sisues, so I surmised something was amiss with this particular blade. I contacted an exec from Busy Bee who frequents the CWW forum, and he arranged to have another blade sent to me. This was extraordinary customer service considering I”m in the US, and Busy Bee doesn’t ship here, so they stand little chance of getting much business from me. I did need to pay to ship the original blade back, which pretty much negated any of the “value” aspect of this blade.

The 2nd blade was much better…more in line with what I’ve come to expect from a decent 40T ATB general purpose blade….smoother glueable edges. As Bob stated, the teeth are huge. I suspect the German technology is Leitz, but I can’t be certain. It won’t replace many premium blades like the Forrest WWII, Fusion, Super General, TS2000, or Gold Medal, but it seems a fair value at $40 CDN. In the states we have access to some other value lines that are at least comparable (Oshlun comes to mind…haven’t tried the Kempston), plus we see clearance deals like the $20 Delta 35-7657 (currently on Amazon), but it’s not common to find bargains like this in Canada.