my experience with Grizzly g0555Lx

Review by paulsss posted 09-10-2017 05:22 PM 1029 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my experience with Grizzly g0555Lx No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Griazzly and was excited when it arrived and was set-up per instructions. I wanted this model because it ranged 1/8” to 3/4” blades. I do alot of smaller pieces, so having the 1/8” was a large part of making final decision.

That’s when problems started piling up. I could not get the 1/8” blade to track, even after the tech support told me to take sandpaper to a perfectly good tire.
The manual clearly says all calibrations are done at the shop. All I needed to do was adjust the tracking knob. It won’t track. after several attempts to correct the coplanar ( at direction of tech support,) we found 2 small pieces of cast material that had snapped off during the adjustment .The saw was sent back. The saw was returned, set up and appeared to track properly.
I then changed the blade to a 3/16” only to find the next round of issues. The mounting bracket has the wrong dimentions to use the other eccentric bearings. About .080 too large.
No one at grizzly caught this.
To end this, I’ve had multiple parts shipped to me, and had issues every time. It now appears that the final solution has created an issue with the thrust bearing. The mounting bracket won’t allow the enough forward movement properly support the blade from behind. About 1/4” short!
I have nothing good to review here. I would suggest to anyone looking to purchase a quality bandsaw, make sure they provide local service. Grizzly doesn’t. I had to deal with Muncie Pa. Not exactly handy.
I hope to have this resolved shortly…..a boy can dream right?

-- Gizmo

View paulsss's profile

paulsss

#1 posted 09-10-2017 08:25 PM

Sorry you have had this issue. But I am glad you posted this review. A good friend of mine has ordered one and due to being back ordered, it is due to ship first week of October. I will have to call him now. This is his first new lectric tool he has ever purchased.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Bob Kassmeyer's profile

Bob Kassmeyer

#2 posted 09-10-2017 09:16 PM

Not my experience, I’ve had mine about ten years and other than replacing guide bearings, which are maintenance items, I don’t think I’ve had any problems. I have not tried using any blades smaller than 1/4 inch though. I have heard they changed plants maybe that’s what is going on.

-- Bob Kassmeyer, Nebraska

View mikeber's profile

mikeber

#3 posted 09-11-2017 02:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience. I was also considering that bandsaw. In any case, if you have to cut small pieces with a 1/8” blade, maybe one of the 10” small bandsaws are more appropriate.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#4 posted 09-11-2017 03:47 AM

It should handle an 1/8 blade. I have one of the same models and I had to get a new guide post with my riser kit.

Luck of the draw with Chinese tools.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

#5 posted 09-12-2017 11:55 PM

I bought the grizzly for my shop at school but it is not top flight quality. Tracking a setting guides are not easy to get right and keeping it set. Students could be some of my issues. I just bought a porter cable 14” from lowes and it turns out to be a great buy better than the grizzly.

View ChipSawdust's profile

ChipSawdust

#6 posted 09-13-2017 10:16 PM

Luck of the draw with Chinese tools.

- TheFridge

Aint that the truth +5

View ChipSawdust's profile

ChipSawdust

#7 posted 09-13-2017 10:18 PM

- mikeber

I have the small Grizzly bandsaw and it works, but the fence is crap, so beware of that. Setup was easy, and you can’t put more than a 3/8” blade on it either. I want a full size band saw but even though I have other Grizzly stuff, it’s like TheFridge said, Chinese stuff is luck of the draw.

View richardchaos's profile

richardchaos

#8 posted 09-19-2017 12:59 AM

I have the same BS and the same issues. SET UP AT GRIZZLY is laughable! You have to mess with the NON CO-PLANNER! WHEELS. And its very very touchy! I mean a slight tiny adjustment will throw it off front or back!

I doubt its any BAD parts more like BAD adjusting if any at the factory!

Watch this guys advise and go from there!

ALSO I have used mine VERY LITTLE and the BEARINGS are already LOAD!

YES I agree with a lot of the others on here about its a crap shoot with these Chinese made tools BUT I thinK Grizzlys are all are in the Philippines.

ALSO with the smaller blades this is maddening. One should ALWAYS Take the pressure off the blade when not in use. AND when you do it will ALWAYS throw the blade off the wheels