Grizzly G0656 8" jointer a good buy.

Review by mart posted 1714 days ago 6009 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0656 8" jointer a good buy. Grizzly G0656 8" jointer a good buy. Grizzly G0656 8" jointer a good buy. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Late last winter i had a friend who flew down from here in Alaska to the lower 48 to pick up a truck he had purchased. He was driving it back up and was going through Washington so I had him stop by the Grizzly Warehouse to pick up a few things for me. One was the Grizzly G0656 8”x72” jointer with mobile base that they had for $795.

When my buddy arrived we backed his truck into the shop and using some pipes and a rope tackled slid the box containing the jointer table (the heaviest portion) out onto some heavy duty saw horses. It went pretty smoothly. I referred to the manual, followed the instructions and after assembling the base attached the table, switch and checked everything for level and trueness. The instructions were adequate. With that being said, I have a pretty fair mechanical aptitude so I can usually fill in the blanks when instructions tend to be sketchy. These instructions were adequate but could have been a little more detailed.

I put the 656 to work on a few small projects through the summer and was pleased with its performance. Summers in Alaska are short and other activities take priority over woodworking. Now that winter is settling in, (I plowed my drive for the first time yesterday), I have time to work on some of the projects I have in various stages of completion. One of those projects is a pair of spruce dressers for a friend of my wife. I needed to mill some wood for the top and base of the dressers so brought in several boards last week to acclimate to the shop. I shortened them up to workable lengths from the 11 feet they were originally and started face jointing. I did have to narrow several down to just under 8” as they were too wide for the jointer. Even taking a full cut, the 656 did a great job. My old delta 6” would have been groaning under the load of a full width cut (the difference I suppose between 110v and 220v). The 656 just kept cutting with no loss of power. The cuts were very smooth and snipe was nonexistent. I even ran one 11’ board that was particularly straight. It came out beautiful. The center picture indicates the rough stock I started with. The third picture is the finished stack ready to edge joint and put to use.

The mobile base is a feature I cannot say enough good about. I have fought with moving heavy equipment around the shop to accommodate one need or another and have paid for it with the scraped up floors and sore joints and muscles from over exerting. That built in mobile base and the price are the features that sold me on the Grizzly G0656.

I really couldn’t be happier with the G0656. I am sure there are some better, more powerful, and more expensive jointers out there but for the money this one is tough to beat.

Mart

mart

This is a nice review, Mart. I have always been impressed by Grizzly tools and customer service. And going with an 8” jointer is probably a good idea. I had my 6” jointer only a short while and was wishing I had sprung for an 8” version.

Jim Bertelson

Thanks for the review. Just getting into the hobby. Grizzly keeps coming up with good value reviews. Will need bigger and better tools as time goes on, so Grizzly is beginning to look like the value brand.

I am a long time utilitarian woodworker, now just trying to upgrade to a hobbyist. Tricking out my Delta Contractor’s Saw, kinda my thing right now, but then after a simple project for the office will try to do something nice.

Yup, glad I got the snow tires on. My slave (wife, I don’t know why she does it) shoveled the old motorhome pad that her friends and others use…........the driveway….....well….........embarrassed….........hmmmm…......you see….....we used to argue a lot about it…....soooooooooo…...about 5 years ago….....yup…...........................heated driveway. No more arguments, no more shoveling at 0600hrs or 2300hrs…......its always clean….....sigh…....

We are nearly neighbors. We built a house out in Palmer for my mother-in-law, so in some ways even more neighborly. Glad to see some Alaskans here.

Jim,

I took advantage of the fact that my friend was going to be in the lower 48 to get his truck. He goes down every year or two so I always get him to bring back lumber or tools. I am lucky. I have a retired neighbor who loves to plow snow and has all the equipment to do so. He plows all the neighbors at no charge. I try to keep him stocked up in mounds bars and homemade jam. I only have to touch up with the 4 wheeler the spots he can’t get to.

Mart

Hear yah Mart,

Actually my brother-in-law comes by when the snow gets heavy and gives the motorhome pad a lick. Gave the motorhome to my daughter up in Fairbanks a few years back, we weren’t using it much. She and family, 2 grandkids and one on the way, are coming down for 5 days next week. Been in Alaska since’75, Fairbanks for 8 years, since ‘84 been here, its home. Thought about retiring someday elsewhere, but reality struck, we ain’t leavin’. Lot of family here now.

I’ll look for you on LJ’s, great site, thanks again for the review….....

Jim

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

you guys arent helping me keep the blues away from not living there anymore…..oh how i love alaska….but had to come to the lower 48 to help family…...but who knows..maybe someday will get here….and ill set foot on alaska soil again…...that would be a dream come true…..ive still got my cold weather gear…and my son in utah has my snowshoes…..which i could retreave anytime…...well the good review on the jointer has me feeling good about grizzly…and me being the grizzman…its only right…..good review mart

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

grizzman,

My wife would happily ship a whole pile of snow to you to help with memories, but I don’t think it would make it intact….....

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

well its the thought that counts…thanks…:)

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View sillac's profile

sillac

Great review, you have had the tool for some time now, have you changed out the blades yet? How do they wear? Are they easy to change? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for sharing, Steve in Oregon

-- Steve in Oregon,

Steve,

I haven’t changed the blades out but they are due for a sharpening. They were easy to install when I first assembled it. I really cannot find anything to complain about. It is head and shoulders above my old 6” Delta that I used for years. I really need to get the blades out and sharpened soon as I am about to move into a stage of my family room remodel where I will need to mill quite a bit of rough cut birch for trim.

I don’t know if you are considering the G0656 for purchase but believe you would be happy with it.

View WhsJr's profile

WhsJr

I bought a GO656P jointer in May and the tables were not coplanar. Shipped it back and got another one. The tables on this one were not coplaner. Grizzly said that they could not guarantee a good machine. I was given a full refund.
Customer service did not even know the term coplaner.

-- WhsJr: Ypsilanti, Michigan