Black Dog Salvage Furniture Paint - First use review

Review by diito posted 09-04-2017 11:52 PM 2396 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Black Dog Salvage Furniture Paint - First use review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Like most I’ve seen this paint advertised at Woodcraft. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of reviews of it out there and the Woodcraft guys I’d talked to didn’t have a lot of say other than it’s really thick stuff. The price was a little high and I’ve always had fantastic results with General Finishes Milk paint on projects that called for paint so I never seriously considered buying it. That is until I started a stuffed animal storage project for my nearly 3 year old daughter. I wanted purple, which GF doesn’t make, and I didn’t need a lot so trying to mix my own wasn’t worth it. Woodcraft had it on sale for 20% off and this wasn’t one of my finer pieces of furniture, so it was the prefect project to try out an unknown product.

Initial impressions opening the can:

• Wow this is really thick as I’ve heard
  • Wow this is completely separated. I spent a solid 20 minutes mixing every corner of the whole can before the streaks went away.
  • There is basically zero odor, although not unexpected for a water based product.

I decided to try brushing. I’ve got a nice 5 stage turbine but even with that you’d need to thin this a lot to spray. Sometimes you can just tell something won’t spray well and this seemed like one of those times. That was fine with me though as this was a not a huge finishing job and I didn’t want to deal with setup/clean up of spraying anyways.

They say no priming is required so I decided not to bother as I never did with the GF stuff either. They also say one coat coverage, which I knew was a lie if you wanted good results.

First coat (brushing):
  • Painting a flat panel was a chore. You have to keep stopping to reload your brush all the time so it’s basically impossible to get any long continuous brush marks. You have to get the paint on then go back and work fast as it’s pretty tacky already and it dries fast and it hard to brush out.
  • There are no thin coats with this stuff. The trick it to get a little on as possible to get coverage without getting too much more because it will run/drip a little on you and if you don’t get to it right away will need to be fixed later after it dries.
  • The paint has absolutely no flow. Where you put it it stays, brush marks included. You really have to work it into the piece too to get full coverage.

Second coat:

I wasn’t at all happy with the results after the first coat. The brush marks were all there and there were some spots where I’d missed (easy to do with this stuff) and a few areas that just could be better. I didn’t expect to do just one coat anyways so I didn’t pre-raise the grain and so the whole thing had a rough feel to it. I sanded the whole thing down with 400 grit sand paper. and fixed all the issues I could then cleaned the whole thing very well. Instead of brushing this time I decided to try foam brushes.

• Using a foam brush was even more work to get the paint on as they can’t really hold as much.
  • It was much easier to get a nice thin even coat on using a foam brush.
  • The foam brushes don’t hold up super well with the thick sticky paint as they start to separate from the stick, I went through a couple.

The results after a 2nd coat were much better, but still not nearly as good the GF Milk paint I usually use. Coverage was very good, but there was still some of that hand applied look. It’s better than I’d probably have gotten if I’d tried to use a latex paint. Either way good enough for what I was doing.

The finish is VERY flat, and I always top coat painted furniture anyways as it’s just more durable and a much nicer look. So that’s what I decided to do here too. Black Dog Salvage also sells a top coat but I didn’t buy that. I had some Enduro-Var already on hand so I used that for great results as expected.

Overall I’d probably not buy this stuff again. I like the color and the end product came out ok, but it’s too thick and challenging to work with. General Finishes has hands down the better product.

View diito's profile

-- Doug...

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#3 posted 09-05-2017 02:40 PM

Thanks for the review and I will probably not buy any.

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

#4 posted 09-05-2017 04:03 PM

This was on the web site:

“Both the paint and the top coat (Guard Dog) can be sprayed or brushed.
Paint and Top Coat are self leveling, i.e. no brush marks”

I wonder how the spraying works since the “no brush marks” doesn’t seem to work.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 09-07-2017 04:11 AM

So, I guess this stuff isn’t anything like the now-trendy-hot Chalk Paint.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#6 posted 09-08-2017 05:19 AM

I wish you would have tried a roller… I think that would have solved your leveling issues

In terms of you HVLP what size needles do you have for I have had good luck spraying SW latex house paint with a #5 1.8mm with out having to thin much at all

View diito's profile

diito

#7 posted 09-08-2017 03:51 PM

The project was mostly narrow strips and inside corners, as roller wouldn’t have done any good.