Another GRIZZLY

Review by khop posted 11-10-2009 02:26 AM 3671 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another GRIZZLY Another GRIZZLY Another GRIZZLY Click the pictures to enlarge them

OK I couldn’t help myself. When I ordered the G1071 OSS sander, I went ahead and got this one too. Might as well round out the total order to a grand right? I had always wanted to get a larger beefyer belt and disc sander. I still have the old Delta 6×36 which will be used for pencil sharpening. lol. Now on to the pros and cons.

Pros, IT”S A GRIZZLY, Heavy and very stable, strong and definately an upgrade from the Delta. It has good dust collection. Cast iron disc and tiltable table which can be installed on the belt end. Removeable belt with the flip of a lever. Reasonably quiet for so much movement. (Grafite coated platen reduces noise). Another WOOD MAGAZINE editors choice.

Cons, The switch is not the easiest to get to,( see pic #2) I wish they would at least put it in front of the cord connection. The cover over the end roller was an add on due from liability and does not stay on well. (see pic #2 again) The base or stop bracket on the belt is installed too far up the platen and waste the use of nearly a third of the surface. I’ll need to make my own modifications to increase it’s usefullness.

Conclusion, Still a nice machine which I can effectively make work well to my advantage. It is an illness I must recognize and feed, the need for tools.

KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

View khop's profile

khop

#1 posted 11-10-2009 03:27 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to add a sander like this to my shop as well so this review definately helps. Now if only my wife would give me an advance on my allowance! :)

#2 posted 11-10-2009 03:52 AM

Thanks for the review

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#3 posted 11-10-2009 05:44 AM

“OK I couldn’t help myself.”

Oh … I’d say you helped yourself just fine ;-)

Is the switch likely to be an ongoing annoyance—one that you’ll have to fix w/another solution—or the kind of thing that’s a pain … three times, and then your used to it?

Nice score!

-- -- Neil

View khop's profile

khop

#4 posted 11-10-2009 01:38 PM

Can’t help myself Beener, I’ll look at the switch to see if it at least can be repositioned. If it gets too complicated, I’ll back off and learn to live with it. Does “Nice Score” mean I suck, lol. I’m still grinning, I’m still high from gittin two new Griz’s
KHOP

-- How am I doing? Better than I deserve. Dave Ramsey

View kolwdwrkr's profile

kolwdwrkr

#5 posted 11-11-2009 06:40 AM

I purchased the same machine and never could keep the belt tracked. I don’t have it anymore.

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~