Another Great Grizzly Product

Review by khop posted 1745 days ago 3283 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another Great Grizzly Product Another Great Grizzly Product Another Great Grizzly Product Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally ordered the new OSS from Grizzly. As pictured, it was very heavy and once again, my electric hoist came to the rescue. At around 300 pounds, it is built like a tank. The unit came well packaged with thick styrofoam around all the pieces. There was ample amounts of the famous goo on most of the exposed metal parts. A little mineral spirits and a cloth rag cut through it qiuckly. I was fortunate to have the hoist to lift the top into position as well as lift the whole unit onto the mobile base. OK now for the pros and cons.

Pros, IT’S A GRIZZLY. The unit is built with alot of iron and is very stable. You get 10 spindle sizes with the machine as well as 3 table inserts and the wrenches. Convienient storage shelves for the spindles. Large 25”x25” cast iron table which tilts forward 45 degress and 20 backwards. Good dust collection with the 4” connection. The unit runs quiet, probably due to it’s mass. Many more features are listed in the cataloge. WOOD MAGAZINE editors choice for best value. And currently on sale for $575.00 plus shipping.

Cons , Make sure you clean away all the saw dust before checking the dip stick which is under the front of the table. The owners manual must of been changed since the posting on the web site. It is severely lacking with detail about assembly. I had to go on line and download the pdf version of the original manual. The on/off switch could be installed a little higher on the unit.

Conclusion, All in All a very nice machine. It has been manufactured for many years, and has remained one of the main sellers for Grizzly. Now I’ll need to update my shop pictures to include the newest members of my shop.

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

Hey khop,

Good review.
I also own the g1071 OSS. I love it!! It’s a beast!! Nothing but good things to say about it. :)

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

Again, thanks for the review. This is another quality tool that should be a good addition to your shop.

Did Christmas come early? :)

khop

Scott, No it’s not Christmas yet. When the wife ask me how much it cost, I reply ” IT COST ABOUT 5 MONTHS OF BOARDING OF YOUR HORSE”. That keeps things on an even keel. These Grizzly’s don’t eat or need vet care.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1977 days

Beautiful!! Just Beautiful.. this is the sander I was going to buy if I hadn’t found my other one..
I was looking at this sander for about 2 years..LOL

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2090 days

Thanks for the post, I’ve been looking at OSS off and on. I must have missed this one. I was under the idea the stationary Grizzly only came with one spindle size. How many and what sizes of spindle does it come with? Is it 110 or 220, possible combo? About how much do sandpaper replacements cost? Obvious I have not completed enough research!!!! Hope to hear from ya, thanks in advance. Looks like a wonderful machine! BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

khop

BTKS, if you can, go to the Grizzly.com site and type into the search box G1071. this will tell you alot about the sander. If you want they will send you a free cataloge too. I think there is reviews on amazon.com too. It’s a great machine for the price and on sale. Good luck

khop

Yo Barry, I’m a private pilot too. Health and $ got me grouned. Now I spend my time and hard earned on tools. Not as safe as flying though.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

I’m jealous!!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View kolwdwrkr's profile

kolwdwrkr

I owned this and used it for a lot of things. I regret selling it and wish I had it back. Very nice machine

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2090 days

Thanks, Khop, next stop on this surfing run. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View larry10's profile

larry10

You say the top had to be attached? Is this something that I could take down a flight of stairs, since my shop is in the basement? I was skeptical about buying this machin because I thought it would be to heavy to manage down a flight of stairs, since i do not have a basement walkout.