Grizzly Table Saw, best birthday present ever

Review by Zoomie posted 08-22-2017 08:59 PM 3106 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Table Saw, best birthday present ever Grizzly Table Saw, best birthday present ever Grizzly Table Saw, best birthday present ever Click the pictures to enlarge them

Turning 60 this year and the little lady read my wish list and I got the cabinet saw I’ve wanted for the past 30 years. Truly a compromise on some level but for me the value is extraordinary given the Grizzly price and the small differences that I as a hobby woodworker will never miss. I actually went to Springfield MO to see it in person and am glad I did. The saw was outstanding but the mobile base was awkward and not very mobile . . . but I needed it to be. Grizzly shipping and UPS were really good. I was lucky and had it shipped to my work and forklifted onto my truck. There was the typical freight rash and punctures but the packaging was thick and nothing was damaged. Setup of the saw was straightforward and instructions well written. It took almost three hours to get it all aligned but in the end, everything was no more than .02 off and some were .005 – that’s accurate. My pencil lines and bifocals will do more for inaccurate cuts than this saw. As for the portable base, spend the extra $70 and get the extra caster corners, caster wheels and levelers and make all six wheels caster. This allows it to move in any direction. Otherwise it moves like a bad shopping cart and is cumbersome. I’ve used it enough to know that the Grizzly supplied blade is not very good, it’ll be used for cutting pressure treated pine on my radial arm saw. I purchased a Freud and it is excellent. I know the safety items are required but some of them just get in the way and will be removed for most cuts. In my opinion the Grizzly 0691 is a great saw for the above average woodworker and an outstanding value.

View Zoomie's profile

Zoomie

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#1 posted 08-22-2017 10:57 PM

GRATZ ….I wish my wife loved me that much ….LMAO :<))

-- Tony Reinholds,Pa. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 08-23-2017 12:47 PM

That’s a stout TS… you’re gonna love it.

I highly recommend getting a Gripper…. it is a big safety upgrade to any TS, but especially when you run the saw with the blade guard removed.

Shop space looks really nice as well.

Enjoy!

-- It’s the knowledge in your head, skill in your hands and motivation to create in you heart that makes you a woodworker. - Mainiac Matt

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#3 posted 08-23-2017 01:10 PM

Welcome to LJs. I’m hoping my wife gets me a new saw for my 60th too. 6 months to go. I only need the 690, because I’ll put my INCRA fence on it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Andre's profile

Andre

#4 posted 08-23-2017 09:00 PM

Kind of happy with my Made in the U.S.A. Delta(1.75hp. Hybrid), but the wife did get me a 15” floor model Drill press a few years ago on one of those Birthdays, few more years for the Big 60! Enjoy the Saw!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

#5 posted 08-23-2017 09:08 PM

Super nice!

I recall when my birthday present one year was exactly what I asked for: permission to go buy the cabinet table saw I wanted!

But on a more recent birthday, I got a check to pay for a portion of finally building out my whole shop, so I defintely do not have any complaints!

Congrats and enjoy. Thanks for showing it off here.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

#6 posted 08-24-2017 04:02 PM

Awesome. I have this exact saw, and my wife “gave” it to me for Christmas a few years back. She even went out the shop and put some wrapping paper on the boxes for me ;-)

I really like the saw, and don’t have any complaints. You get a lot of saw for what you pay.

View Loupe's profile

Loupe

#7 posted 08-24-2017 09:19 PM

Awesome present. Just wondering, you said you went to the showroom. I’m thinking about going in two weeks. Long trip for me though. Looking at the g1023rlwx. Does anyone have a preference from the 1023 and the 0690?
—Michael

-- Michael

#8 posted 08-24-2017 09:27 PM

Loupe,
Check out this thread, looks like someone asked the same question as you…

#9 posted 08-24-2017 09:29 PM

And another thread…

#10 posted 08-24-2017 09:31 PM

And one final thread:

Wow, looks like you’re not the only one with that question!

View Zoomie's profile

Zoomie

#11 posted 08-25-2017 01:52 PM

Loupe, the trip for me was pretty far as well, Macon GA to Springfield MO, but I was on my way to KS anyhow. Online shopping is great but hands-on can’t be beat when you’re talking >$1500 purchases. I had pretty much settled on the 0691 before I got there but the trip confirmed it. The one thing I learned when I got there was the riving knife on the 0690/1 is a lot easier to remove than the 1023 and I liked the fact that the manufacturer was ISO9001 certified. It just adds a layer of QC, even though the Taiwan brand probably has the same QC, they just aren’t certified. Also don’t go there thinking you’ll save any money on shipping, MO sales tax negates any advantage. Good luck either way.

View Loupe's profile

Loupe

#12 posted 08-25-2017 06:22 PM

I appreciate everyone’s input. This is a major purchase for me. I just want to make the right purchase. I’ll have to live with it for a very long time. LOL

-- Michael

View WoodWarper's profile

WoodWarper

#13 posted 08-27-2017 03:21 AM

Zoomie:

I just recently purchased the exact same saw for my shop, which is still under renovation and build out. I am really excited about using it eventually… I would live to hear your thoughts about the sawmafter you have used it for a while.

And, I really love your shop. Really nicely equipped, and a very, very cool work space!

Woodwarper

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#14 posted 09-01-2017 02:18 AM

I’m jealous of your workshop!

-- Chuck, Michigan,

View blackoak's profile

blackoak

#15 posted 09-01-2017 07:35 PM

Hey Zoomie. I just went up to Springfield to put my hands on a few things also. Can you expand on the sales tax VS shipping costs? How bad is the state tax ? Im close in Ark.