HOMERIGHT Spray Shelter

Review by Rich posted 08-20-2017 09:53 PM 1886 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HOMERIGHT Spray Shelter HOMERIGHT Spray Shelter HOMERIGHT Spray Shelter Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you’re like me, spraying finishes frequently and don’t have a dedicated spray booth, you know how it gets all over things. Even with the two-car garage door open, and side door open for cross ventilation, topcoats like lacquer get in the air and settle on everything.

I happened on the HOMERIGHT Spray Shelters on Amazon, and decided to give the smaller tabletop model a try. At just over $30, it seemed like I didn’t have much to lose. As it turned out, it’s a nice product in several ways. It is roomy, with a 39” height, 30” depth and 36” width. Plenty big for boxes, frames and even drawer fronts. The sides are solid nylon to contain the spray, and the back has a trap door held closed with velcro tabs that you can open up to prevent blowback when spraying.

It comes packaged in a round, flat bag, and opens up with a spring steel frame. It’s very sturdy when opened, but a bit light weight, so I found placing a couple of duct tape wrapped bricks that I keep around for hold downs in the back kept it from sliding around.

All-in-all, it does what it’s designed to do. I have a small turntable with craft sticks attached to help spin it, and it makes spraying dyes and topcoats much less messy.

Another use for it (at least until it gets coated with stains or dyes) is as a photo booth. The white nylon side panels are large enough to diffuse two directional lamps placed outside them for soft lighting. Combined with some seamless paper, it would make a good booth for eBay listing photos.

Here are a couple of extra photos:

Here is a view from the back showing the trap door opened. The mesh is open enough to prevent pressure buildup and blowback, while still containing much of the overspray.

The instruction sheet sewn inside the bag showing how to fold the unit to fit back into the bag is a welcome feature. It’s different from the round products I’m used to and takes a special technique.

There’s even room for my little turntable.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#1 posted 08-21-2017 02:38 AM

Just got one of these myself! Review is spot-on.

View Bobthewoodbutcher's profile

Bobthewoodbutcher

#2 posted 08-21-2017 03:57 AM

Looks good, but doesn’t seem to be available on Amazon.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

#3 posted 08-21-2017 03:59 AM

I have used one a couple times also. You covered everything very well. I used it with an hplv sprayer and leaving the “trap door” in the back open makes a huge difference with blow back. Another hint if you want better flow through, tape a ac filter to a box fan to draw more air to the back.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

#4 posted 08-21-2017 04:15 AM

Looks good, but doesn t seem to be available on Amazon.

- Bobthewoodbutcher

Hi Bob, I probably should have included a link in the review. It appears to still be available on Amazon:

#5 posted 08-21-2017 04:18 AM

- WhoMe

That would really help with overspray. Thing is, I mostly spray lacquer, and I really don’t have a good grasp on flammability with standard fan motors. Just playing it safe. If I ever decide to invest in an explosion-proof motor, I’ll probably build a decent booth to go with it.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#6 posted 08-22-2017 05:34 PM

If there is an opening in the back won’t the overspray simply blow out the back all over everything in the shop? If the rear flap is closed won’t the overspray simply blow back out the front and into the shop as well? I’m also wondering how fast the finish builds up on the interior surfaces and what happens to the build up when you pack the tent back into the storage bag. I’d think the residual finish would wind up making a big mess of dry particles then next time you open it and that will have to be cleaned up before you use it or else it will all wind up on whatever you are spraying.

I don’t want to sound negative, these are the questions I have that I sure would like to have answered before I spend $$ on something like this. My current approach is to put drop cloth on the floor and drape plastic over the garage door rails and then tape up the sides to make a tent but it is a time consuming and costly way to make a spray booth.

#7 posted 08-22-2017 06:35 PM

Interesting points, Earl. Regarding the mesh, it’s very fine. As an engineer I’m sure you understand that a fine mesh can allow air to pass while stopping particulates. I’m sure some escapes, but it’s far less than if I were spraying out in the open like I used to do.

It’s a small tent, and I’m spraying small objects, so it’s not a large amount of material to begin with. If you want to see a cloud, watch when I spray a residential door with lacquer. Even with my Fuji Q4 HVLP, it gets thick. Just one of the drawbacks to having limited space. Fortunately, lacquer settles as dust in a case like that, so it’s not building up a film on things. That’s what I suspect will be the case regarding the buildup inside the tent you mentioned. I only spray dye and lacquer in the tent, so it’s not going to coat the inside with something that might flake off. Time will tell.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#8 posted 08-23-2017 05:34 PM

Rich – I also have a Fuji gun and it certainly puts out a cloud. Generally, I use Arm-R-Seal poly which does build up on everything. I think Rockler has these too so I might take another look and give it a try on the desk I’m working on. Thanks for the candid and helpful review.

View ArtMann's profile

ArtMann

#9 posted 08-30-2017 04:00 PM

Thank you Rich. Until I get my new shop completed, I need a portable paint booth for small items I carve on my CNC router. I spray a lot of lacquer and varnish and I need a way to contain the over-spray. I had in mind some sort of framed cardboard structure with screened vents.This item looks like it will work great and it is inexpensive.

#10 posted 08-30-2017 09:03 PM

I’m glad the review was useful for you Art. It should be perfect for those pieces, and it’s hard to argue with the price.