Trend Airsheild, My lungs thank you

Review by Andrew posted 11-07-2009 at 11:42 AM 2761 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Trend Airsheild, My lungs thank you Trend Airsheild, My lungs thank you Trend Airsheild, My lungs thank you Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been on the fence about buying one of these for a year now. Christmas is on its way, and Andy has some work ahead of him to provide family and freinds with the gifts they deserve. There is a lot of wood dust that is going to be produced, and I don’t need to store it in my lungs this year.
Anyway, this is a positive air preasure filtrating system. Means it constantly blows filtered air over your face so dirty wood dusty air does not enter. It works well. The battery will last about 4 hours, I get sick of sanding in 2 hours.
It is comfotrable and fairly light about 2 1/2 pounds. It also cost $320 at woodcraft. It comes with 1 battery and 1 visor overlay. I plan on buying more visor overlays, $30 for 10 and another battery about $40. There is a small hole down by the chin to let air escape as the fan is constantly blowing in fresh air. I like this a lot, and recomend this to everyone,

We are always concerned about our fingers, but how about our lungs, we never know we have done a bad thing until it is too late.

It employs a slow charger, takes 13 hours ( 24 for the first charge) to fully charge, and only 4 to fully discharge.
I use this primarily for finish turning and sanding of bowls and other lathe projects. Seems the lathe does the best job at broadcasting wood dust. I use a regular mask for green or rough turning.

It is expensive but I beleive it to be well worth it.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 11-07-2009 at 12:14 PM

I tried one a few years ago, but I returned it. Too heavy, uncomfortable and awkward for me. I ended up getting a powered respirator from Rockler that I like.

If it works for you and you like then it is a great idea and well worth it.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#2 posted 11-08-2009 at 09:01 AM

I have one of these, it works very good as far as filtering goes, but it puts too much pressure on my temples, so after a while I start getting a headache, so I can’t wear it for much more than 30 min at a time. so, needless to say, I don’t wear it very often, I wish I had sent it back, but I had it for too long before I ever used it.

-- Smitty!!!

#3 posted 11-08-2009 at 09:30 AM

I have been looking at these but just really could not make up my mind if I would wear one or not. This review certainly has been helpful. Thanks for the post.

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

#4 posted 11-09-2009 at 09:21 AM

I’ve got one at the shop, it is a bit heavy and awkward but it does work well. I’ve been wanting to try the Triton Powered Respirators.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#5 posted 11-09-2009 at 09:35 AM

I bought the one shown here and it took a bit of getting used to for my neck muscles but other than that it’s been a very decent facemask.
I looked at Triton and although it is also a decent system the idea of having an attachment on my belt to catch on everything did not appeal to me.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#6 posted 11-09-2009 at 01:59 PM

Wow. Just amazing.

But … for me … if it gets that far … I’ve got scuba gear :-)

-- -- Neil

View woodsmith's profile

woodsmith

#7 posted 11-10-2009 at 02:16 PM

I bought the Rockler also. It works very good except for my bifocals. I need a better solution but haven’t decided what that is yet.

-- woodsmith

View JohninSD's profile

JohninSD

#8 posted 11-10-2009 at 04:20 PM

I use a 3M Airstream PAPR (Powered Air Purifying Respirator). Expensive (~$700 as I recall – bought it several years ago) but I think It’s worthwhile. For one thing, it includes an ANSI compliant face shield and hard hat. The hard hat I could do without but the face shield is very helpful in avoiding flinching, especially at the lathe. I find it very comfortable, the cool air helps keep sweat out of my eyes. The battery is good for 8 hours I think but I’m only good for about 2 or 3 so that works out nicely.

-- John

View Rick's profile

Rick

#9 posted 12-23-2009 at 09:18 AM

I’d love for less dust to reach my lungs but I just can’t see myself spending $320 on something that lasts only 4 hours on a charge. I spend up to 6 hours at a time in my shop and kick up dust the entire time, not just when I’m sanding. I currently use a standard 2-cartridge mask that covers my nose and mouth. I think it’s about $40 – $50 at the Depot. I can tell some dust still gets through. However, it’s not big and bulky, I got used to wearing it very quickly and it’s easy and quick to put on so you’re more apt to put it on all the time.

Since my shop is in my home basement I run a Jet air filter system in the winter and and window and fan in the summer.

If I’m off base with my approach, let me know.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#10 posted 12-23-2009 at 10:10 AM

You can run two batteries in mine so you really have 8 hours of run time.
The bunny cones type respirators almost completely block your vision down and around where your hands work.
You have to deliberately tilt you head further down to see your work.
I use on for spray painting but can’t wait to get it off.

Several guys have made up their own battery packs ( on my list) using new lithium ion Batteries.

Bob