Time Tested Tools-I'm gonna go broke!

Review by Dustin posted 08-16-2017 08:09 PM 2386 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Time Tested Tools-I'm gonna go broke! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey, for all you LJ’s who have yet to delve into the world of hand tools, or just need a good place to get them, user Don W recently referred me to his site timetestedtools.net.

Having no hand tools (except for the number 80 scraper I’m borrowing from CharlesA), I needed a block plane for a project I’m working on. I had seen Don’s posts before, so I went over to his site after a few failed attempts to buy things on E-bay. If you’re like me, and have neither the time, patience nor inclination to bid on items, this is a much better alternative. I found a block plane I liked, did a little research, and quickly placed my order. A shipping label was created within the hour (on a Sunday, no less), and I got my Stanley 9 1/2 in the mail today (NY to Louisville in a pretty short timeframe).

The plane came well packed, the price included shipping, and this thing was ready to go. After overcoming the slight learning curve of setting up a plane for the first time, I was ready to pull some shavings.

A big thanks to DonW and his website for providing a better alternative than paying collector prices to disinterested sellers online!

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

View ksSlim's profile

ksSlim

#1 posted 08-16-2017 11:12 PM

Don is the man! Timetestedtools.com

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#2 posted 08-17-2017 02:48 PM

A block plane is a great way to dive into the world of hand tools. An old Stanley is a great way to dive into block planes. Get comfortable with use and sharpening of that and you will be ready to move up to a jack, then a smoother, then a jointer. Then the discussion about preferred low angles will begin. Before you know it you will have a wall of shoulder, router and standard hand planes. Happy, but poor. With a desire to save some money, you begin to buy cheap, ignored planes off of e bay and restore them. Now you are fully on the slope, without hope of redemption. Please make sure to keep up apprised as you go down, down down. Us Lumberjocks would love to witness the decent!

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

#3 posted 08-17-2017 05:09 PM

Don is the handplane Yoda and his site definitely provides a valuable service to our “niche” of folks who want user tools at reasonable prices. And the 9-1/2 is probably the best all-around block plane one can have. Great choice. Of course you’ll also need a low-angle to compliment it. Oh yeah, you’ll probably want a 140 with the skewed blade, that thing is awesome. Oh but wait…. never mind. You’ll find out ;-P

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#4 posted 08-18-2017 07:55 PM

Thanks for the input, fellas. I already know I’m about to fall down the rabbit hole. I’ve stared into the abyss of hand tools, and it stared back. But man, what a satisfying sound and feeling!

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

283 posts in 2082 days

#5 posted 08-19-2017 12:50 PM

Ah, dang it. Why did I click on that link? There goes the winter vacation money…What a great site and service!

View steveinaz's profile

steveinaz

#6 posted 08-20-2017 05:30 PM

Don is a great resource. A wealth of information and a tireless contributor. He recently helped me get some parts for my No. 12

-- Steve in AZ