Grizzly G0771Z

Review by Bikerdan posted 08-16-2017 03:45 AM 2276 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0771Z Grizzly G0771Z No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey everyone. I just received my Grizzly G0771Z yesterday and I felt that I should add my experience to the forum.

First of all, delivery went just fine (ordered Monday, received next Monday). The driver was willing to pull it into my garage for me. (not a long driveway though) There were a number of cuts and punctures in the cardboard on both the main saw and the fence packages. I noted them on the receipt and took pictures.

I went ahead and opened up the packages and everything looked good. No scratches or dings. Next, I removed the saw from the pallet by removing two bolts from underneath the pallet. I then assembled the Grizzly Bear Crawl mobile base around it which went very smoothly (separate purchase).

Next step was to mount the wings. They are WAY heavier than I expected. The cast iron was at least 1/4 inch thick all around. Pay attention to the orientation when you mount them. The bevels on the front and back are different so you need to make sure you orient them correctly when mounting them to the main table. The bevels matched perfectly for me. I had no problem getting them level to the table with a little persuasion from a plastic mallet. I did use some masking tape to shim the left wing, but honestly it was so close already it probably wouldn’t have made a difference either way. The right wing went on as smoothly as the first.

I installed the blade, riving knife, raise and angle wheels, and throat plates (it comes with the standard as well as the dado throat plate) all without issue. One of the screws in the motor cover was a little tight, but no big deal. The cabinet opening is covered with a plate and 6 screws. It would have been nice if it was on hinges or something to make it easier to open. It probably wouldn’t be hard to add hinges too if you wanted.

I installed the front fence rail with no issues. I did have a small issue installing the back rail. Basically, the bolts that it came with to mount the back rail were a tad too short to get a good grip into the nuts. I ended up using some bolts that I had laying around to finish the job. This was really not a huge deal as the bolts were common bolts that you can easily find at any hardware store. I measured the drop from the table to the rails along the entire length and it was very consistent with maybe a paper thickness different along the whole length. Easily adjusted for if that bugs you.

The miter guage locks down tightly and I had NO play in the slot. It will do the trick. The only thing is there is a little play in the pre-set angle detents.

Finally the fence. I installed the fence and checked alignment. It was maybe 1/64th out to the right on the far end of the fence. That was an easy adjustment as well. Also, the rear rail seems a little flimsy. If someone mistakenly leaned on it too hard or something, it could potentially bend it. Everything else on the fence was great. The vertical squareness to the table was perfect. The fence glides smooth enough (probably better once waxed) and locks down consistently straight. It was already adjusted to about 1/16th of an inch above the table all of the way across. I’m sure it’s no Biesemeyer, but it was definitely up to the task and I love the built in t-slots.

The blade was 90 degrees to the table and parallel to the miter slots right out of the box and the motor ran smoothly and quietly.

I had been going back and forth between the Delta 36-725 and this saw and let me tell you… the difference is night and day. Soooo worth the couple hundred dollars difference. Oh, and all of the issues that have been mentioned in previous threads (fence set screw height, table bevels, etc.) were not an issue for me at all. Maybe they’ve worked through some of those kinks. Basically, I give it a huge double thumbs up and would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a solid table saw within a 1000 dollar budget. It’s not a 3000 dollar saw stop, but it’s still quite the machine that I’m sure will last me years to come.

View JKMDETAIL's profile

JKMDETAIL

#1 posted 08-16-2017 05:29 PM

Wish I had done this over my Delta. Congrats on the new saw.

#2 posted 08-16-2017 05:37 PM

Thank you!

As with anything, you can always pay more to get more. With the drop gate service and the mobile base, I was out the door at $1000.90 or something very close to that. Considering it’s 400-500 dollars more than the Delta, it makes sense that you’re getting more saw. The difference for me is that I feel like I have a “real” table saw with this unit. I feel like I should be able to hang on to this saw for a LONG time without feeling the need to upgrade. (At least for the next month or two ;)

For the price, the Delta is a great saw. I just couldn’t get past how the blade to miter adjustment works. It just doesn’t seem right. But that’s just me. I’m sure it works just fine once dialed in.

On the bright side, JKMDETAIL, you should still be able to get a good chunk of change out of your delta and still get the Grizzly if you really wanted to.

View JKMDETAIL's profile

JKMDETAIL

#3 posted 08-17-2017 05:23 PM

Someday. For now be happy and go on down the road.

#4 posted 08-17-2017 05:25 PM

Wise words. :)

View xli's profile

xli

#5 posted 08-18-2017 01:55 AM

I also got this saw a while ago. Here is my review I posted on Grizzly.com:

I bought this table saw on 7/2, and it got shipped on 7/12. But the delivery was a disaster, it was the fault of UPS Freight. They called me and scheduled appointment on 7/20 to deliver, I took a day off just to receive, but the never came. Tracking indicated they would try next business day (Friday), but when I called them, they said they would not deliver, no reason explained. I was on vacation the week after, had to wait until 7/31 to have it delivered. The fence package was badly damaged, some parts were missing, and the front rail end was deformed. Overall that was a bad experience on delivery part.

It took me a while to finally get it up and running (have to wait to weekend). I followed the manual to set it. There was no adjustment needed for the blade to table, everything was perfect, and the table was pretty flat. Adjust blade 90 degree and 45 degree was not that bad. The fence was a little work. The aluminum sides were not perfectly straight, had to shim with masking tape. Making the fence 90 degree to table was bad, since it was way off, you had to adjust the set screw a lot, so I ended to shim of aluminum sides with 4 layers of masking tape, and finally it got really close. Miter gauge was made of cast aluminum, same as fence rail, but seemed to hold. After setting to 90 degree to blade, it was dead on every time. I installed a self made miter gauge fence out of guide rail from Grizzly (very cheap), and it was pretty good. The noise level was pretty low, good enough power for my hobby needs. The cut was very smooth with Diablo 50-tooth thin kerf combination blade, and the accuracy and reproducibility was impressive. It is a significant upgrade from my Ryobi BT3100-1 table saw, which is considered the best table saw under $300. Overall, I would definitely recommend this saw to any none woodworking professionals, especially with this price, which no other competitors could offer with same features.

There are a couple of things need to improve. There are so many gaps in the cabinet to reduce the efficiency of dust collector. like the vent over the motor, blade raising wheel, covers, as a result, a lot of saw dust accumulated in the cabinet. The back aluminum fail seems to be flimsy, could be easily bent. Wish the blade guard could have dust collect port, a lot of saw dust escape. The cast aluminum fence and aluminum sides could be stronger. Finally, of course, the power cord is way too short, only 6 feet, that was a joke, had to replace with 14 WGA 10-feet power cord. Surprisingly, this saw could be run perfectly on a 15Amp outlet with no issue even under load.

Will see how it perform in a long run, but overall very satisfied with this purchase.

I recently sealed most of the gap around the saw to improve the dust collection efficiency, it works much better now.

#6 posted 08-18-2017 02:31 PM

xli – Thanks for your review as well. From the sounds of it, the biggest gamble with the Grizzly is whether shipping is going to work out or not. It sounds like a pretty bad experience for you, but was pleasant for me. Either way, Grizzly service and the G0771Z itself are great. If you’re willing to potentially put up with a couple of issues to save some serious money, I highly recommend this saw. I LOVE working on it. I can’t get over the accuracy compared to my previous portable craftsman.

View blistersonmyfingers's profile

blistersonmyfingers

#7 posted 08-21-2017 11:03 PM

Wish I had done this over my Delta. Congrats on the new saw.

- JKMDETAIL

Yeah I think I”m in that camp. My saw is fine and life will go on but if the basement floods and I need to replace all my tools it would prob be a Grizzlerz instead of the Delta.

View WAPY's profile

WAPY

#8 posted 08-22-2017 12:40 PM

that’s really a great saw ! I’d like it was sold also with 220 Volts motor for Europe market… but that’s not possible.

-- the good woodworker feels what the tree wanted to become

#9 posted 08-22-2017 02:55 PM

Actually, it is capable of 240v. It’s just prewired for 120v. Here are the specs on the website for the motor.

Motor: 2 HP, 120V/240V, prewired 120V, single-phase, 60 Hz
Amps: 15A at 120V, 7.5A at 240V

Wouldn’t that work? Or am does it work differently there?

#10 posted 08-22-2017 02:59 PM

For anyone that purchases this saw, here’s a tip to help the fence slide way smoother than stock. All I did was take some 2000 grit sand paper and smoothed the surfaces on the rail that the nylon pads slide on. It didn’t change the look really, but the fence slides way better now. Only took about 5 minutes total.

And another tip to help with the miter gauge. The detents used to set common angles like 90, 45, and so on are a bit sloppy. They allow the gauge to move 1 to 2 degrees before locking it down. I noticed that the detent is kind of cone shaped. That gave me the idea to flip the adjustment plates over so the smaller end of the cone was facing down into the upward facing cone of the “locking pin”. Now I get a tight fit that locks down EXACTLY where it should every time. Here is a picture to help illustrate:

Notice the shape of the detents, in yellow, and the “locking pin” in the red circle. If the detents are upside down, they will be an upward facing cone (point up) like the locking pin. When in this configuration, there is a lot of slop. When the plates are turned to “point” down, the locking pin fits snuggly into the small side of the detent. The picture illustrates the incorrect orientation of the plates which is exactly how mine came.

Hope these tips help you!

#11 posted 08-22-2017 03:03 PM

Followup after using the saw for a few days. Saw still runs great. It keeps all adjustments. The fence locks down straight every time. Dust collection is not the most amazing, but does a decent job.

Overall, I’m still super happy I made this choice.

View WAPY's profile

WAPY

#12 posted 08-23-2017 06:46 AM

I read their site too, Bikerdan. The question is that it works at 240/60 Hz while in Europe we do have 220/50 Hz. The motor cannot work and should be replaced. Not considering the shipping costs for a so heavy equipment. thanks anyway.

-- the good woodworker feels what the tree wanted to become

#13 posted 08-23-2017 02:33 PM

- WAPY

Good to know. Thanks for the info WAPY.