Grizzly Adjustable Mobile Base

Review by Kelly posted 08-13-2017 06:11 PM 1931 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Adjustable Mobile Base No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this to put under my Powermatic edge sander. Here are my observations regarding its assembly and use:

PRO’s:

1) The edge sander I used this under is now VERY easy to move. Much more so than when I had a home made, wood base (with good casters), which raised the unit up several inches.

2) The base design raises the tool only enough to allow the wheels to roll freely, so it doesn’t raise the center of gravity a great deal.

3) The locking mechanism is very easy to engage and disengage.

4) The base was easy to assemble and could be figured out without directions. The hardest thing to figure out would be the locking mechanism.

CONS:

1) BE VERY CAREFUL tightening the sixteen (16) short bolts that hold the square tubing in the four corner pieces. They are spot welded and it takes very little pressure to break them loose.

Fortunately, it doesn’t take much pressure to lock the tubes to the corner pieces. Too, the tubes fit into larger tubes and most the abuse they would suffer is downward pressure, rather than lateral or horizontal.

SIDE NOTES:

1) I bought a cheap EVOLUTION carbide tooth metal cut off saw a while back. It made quick work of shortening square tubing that slide into the corners, to get a fairly tight fit around the base.

2) The non-swiveling wheels are mounted so they roll parallel to the base to which they attach. Because of that,
attention must be given to which corners sections longer or shorter tubes are mounted in.

One way, my edge sander must be rolled with wide section to the right and left and could not be rolled through the four foot wide shop door. If set on the base the other way, it will fit and should be more stable during moves.

3) I had to run the two locking mechanisms all the way in to get them to raise the unit as little as possible. You only need to raise the wheels about 1/8”, or less, to to stop the base from moving around.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

2050 posts in 3027 days

1 comment so far

View Bikerdan's profile

Bikerdan

#1 posted 08-15-2017 09:35 PM

I’ll add my 2 cents. I just put one of these under my Grizzly G0771Z yesterday and I would have to agree with all points made so far. It’s nice and sturdy, the wheels roll easily and appear to be durable. I love the mechanism to raise the swivel wheels off of the ground and everything seems pretty well made. One issue I had was that one of the sides where the foot levers mount was bent inward. I just had to get some pliers and bend it out. Works fine after that.

The price seems to be less that other similar bases that do not have the foot levers. I would definitely purchase again.