Top snapped apart on one bag

Review by ColonelTravis posted 08-11-2017 07:33 PM 851 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Top snapped apart on one bag Top snapped apart on one bag No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought a pack of 4 last spring, they were doing great until the top of the screw cap on one broke after almost a year. Really ticked about that because I had plenty of finish left in the bag. The other three bags are fine, and I’d like to buy more when I’m done with them because the concept is great. But if another top breaks I will not.

Don’t know how the top of the cap came off. Went to open it a week ago and saw that the top was broken and the finish was ruined. In the first photo I show the piece that broke off – I balanced it like that so it was easier to see.

There’s not much to review here – the bags either work or they don’t. Pour what you need, squeeze out the air then screw on the cap, minimizing oxidation. Two of my four bags have had finish in it for more than a year and it’s like opening a new can.

A tip I read on the company website said “a light coating of wax on the threads of the cap make it easier to remove.” I did not do this, and sometimes a cap doesn’t unscrew without some effort, but it’s never been so hard that I ever thought it would break the cap. I also wipe off the threads after pouring out what I need. Maybe it was a fluke.

Like to know if anyone with these bags has had this or any other problem.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

View tnwood's profile

tnwood

#1 posted 08-11-2017 08:10 PM

I use them and haven’t had any problems like you experienced. Maybe tightened too much? Or alternatively a cracked cap that just gave up the ghost. I like them as I’ve stored finish for over a year in them without a problem.

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

#2 posted 08-11-2017 10:59 PM

Good to know you’ve had success, because this is a great way to save stuff you don’t use a whole lot. Guess it was just a bad top.

Actually, I was wrong about when I bought these bags. I bought them about two years ago. Today found a concoction of wood cleaner that I made a lot of for some dumb reason, but it’s been stored in a StopLossBag for 23 months and hasn’t lost its potency.

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#3 posted 08-13-2017 01:20 PM

StopLoss sells caps at very reasonable rates. My caps crack after a lot of use and if I allow dried finish to build up on the spout. When I keep the spout clean and don’t over tighten the cap – no problem. If a cap cracks just replace it. Great product BTW, perfect for Waterlox and any finish prone to gelling.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

#4 posted 08-19-2017 01:00 AM

Thanks for the post, I never knew about them. Prices are great and I will order soon.
Steve.