Screw-Outs Don't Work

Review by papadan posted 1754 days ago 2087 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Screw-Outs Don't Work No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00952154000P?keyword=52154&sLevel=0 LOML saw Bob Vs commercial and bought me a set a couple years ago. Today, 1/2” wood screws holding cabinet door hinges that have stripped out phillips heads. Guess what, Bob V can kiss my A$$! These things are supposed to bite into the screw and back it out, all they do is spin in the stripped head. Even tried an impact driver and nothing! This system won’t let me give -5 stars or I would!

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

I know traditionally I would use a tap and die set to remove bolts and screws by hand…could you use a wrench or something with these at hand-strength? The drill (even on slow) might be too much speed and not allow the bit to “bite”

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

112014 posts in 2208 days

thanks Dan

View Dale's profile

Dale

I haven’t used the Craftsman brand screwouts but I have used something similar and they worked best when using a hand driver and applying a lot of pressure until it bites into the screwhead—as Jason suggested. If you use a power drill and don’t apply enough pressure and it spins you generally don’t get a second chance.

I just checked the reviews on the Craftsman site above and some people suggest tapping it in with a hammer before you try to turn it out.

-- -Dale

View GMman's profile

GMman

I was looking at a set just the other day and I was told to use a small pair of visecrip pliers and as you turn you tap on the top with a hammer, very small taps.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

Are you drilling the threads counterclockwise? I had the same problem first, although with a different brand, until I reread the directions and realized you’re supposed to drill the threads counterclockwise, then flip it over and again remove the screw as usual counterclockwise.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Sean's profile

Sean

Something by Craftsman that won’t work? The Dickens, you say!

-- "Democracy is by far the worst system of government. Except all the others that have been tried." ~ Winston Churchill

View Luke's profile

Luke

538 posts in 1925 days

I’ve heard that you need to drill a hole in the screw to “fit” the tap in before you start drilling backwards. So that it has the right stuff to bite. ???

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View Jeff Dubofsky's profile

Jeff Dubofsky

I’ve never used the product (under any brand name), but have certainly seen the ads. I recently saw an ad for a deal on them through Rockler. Seems like a lot of debate and question for, what looks to be, a pretty straight forward device…...Funny, the ad doesn’t seem to cover any of the issues you guys are talking about? :-) Maybe I’ll wait to on the purchase until they actually get it to work! Thanks for the reviews!

-- jdubo, Hartland Wisconsin..."If you see a flaw in my work take a (big) step back!"

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2382 posts in 2069 days

I drill it out then fill the hole with wood after.

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

For about the same $$$ you can get a product called “GRABIT” that DOES WORK !! !!

That is the one where you use one end of the bit to drill a custom shaped depression, then flip it over and engage the burr in the hole and back it out. I’ve used that one many times with good results.

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...

1136 posts in 2000 days

I’ve seen the Grabits advertised, but would have to see them in person working.

Other reviews of this product. Not very promising…some ppl say that you have to tap them with a hammer first to make it bite and others say that you need to drill into the broken screw first

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2093 days

I have the same set, I think the plastic case is more useful at getting the screw uot than the cutter are!!

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

1136 posts in 2000 days

OK, I got all of the screws out of the cabinets. 11 had to be removed. The Crapsman Screw-Outs worked marvelously, all you have to do is drill an 1/8th inch hole in the screw,(ruined 3 bits by chipping the edges) Then tap the screw-out into the hole with a hammer until you can feel there are ridges to catch it on, then put the screw-out in a drill and slowly back the screw out, last step is to throw these things in the garbage.

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

I bought a “Grabit” to get a screw out that had a screwed up head. It worked too good. It bit into the head just like it was suppose to, but the screw was in so tight that the “Grabit” broke in half. It works as advertised, but it can’t handle heavy stress.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com