PEC 90 Degree 12" Combination Square

Review by PPK posted 08-07-2017 08:36 PM 977 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
PEC 90 Degree 12" Combination Square No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review for a combination square that is priced a lot lower than a Starret square, is actually square, and is made in the USA. All good things, right?

-It is square. Really square. All the way along the length of the ruler.
-It slides well. Not AMAZING, but well.
-Fit and finish are pretty decent, but not amazing. There are some sharp corners.
-The graduations are well marked, and very easy to read. (Etched in, I think)
-It came with some anti-corrosion coating on it and had no rust.
-Knurled knob is very easy to grip with two fingers and turn.
-Scratch awl is fine. (although I don’t use it, really)
-I’ve used it for several months, so I think I have a good feel for it and can write a decent review.

I bought it for about $20 on Ebay, not including S&H.

Overall, I’d buy this square again and again, since I have no need for the PERFECT tolerance of a Starret, nor do I have the money to buy one, but I do want a square that is SQUARE and affordable! I also like supporting US companies when possible. This tool fits the bill on all counts.

Disclaimer: I am not a machinist or a tool specialist, nor do It have any way to measure exactly how many thousandths of an inch it is accurate to, but I know that when I cut a line with a marking knife, flip the square and check, it looks perfect!

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#1 posted 08-07-2017 10:23 PM

Thanks for the review. I have the PEC 6” double square and like it a lot.

I didn’t know the 12” combo square could be had so cheaply. I usually would buy from Taylor Toolworks on ebay. Is that where you got yours?

View Andre's profile

Andre

#2 posted 08-08-2017 03:16 AM

Might have to take a look, the Empire from H.D. getting a little sloppy.
I do have a Starrett but I only use it for important stuff and to check
other squares! The square I use most of the time is a 2 1/2” Lufkin.

Checked E-Bay ca. $42 + 20 for shipping Canadian $

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View JohnDi's profile

JohnDi

#3 posted 08-08-2017 09:47 AM

Cache out Harry Epstein for PEC blemishes.
They get good reviews and are very reasonably priced.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#4 posted 08-08-2017 01:18 PM

Looks like the seller is Reddottool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PEC-90-Degree-12-Combination-Square-/222244770698?hash=item33bed2138a:g:rdoAAOSwHoFXqOTa

I also like buying from Taylor Tool Works.

-- Pete

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#5 posted 08-08-2017 04:41 PM

Thanks for the review. I have a Starrett comb square and use it only for special jobs and for checking other squares. I was able to check a Stanley square against the Starrett and found it to be very much off. I was able to correct this with a little machining, but it is still not perfect. I think I will get a PEC CS for everyday use and send the Stanley to the “framing” toolbox where it belongs.

View jonah's profile

jonah

#6 posted 08-09-2017 12:51 PM

I have one of these squares, and it’s great. Perfectly square, or at least as perfectly square as my eyes can see, and the fit and finish is very good.

I also have two PEC 4” double squares and a try square. All are great.

View dbeck's profile

dbeck

#7 posted 08-10-2017 10:07 AM

I got a set of these from harry epstein and they are great. Learned of the site from on a forum here and finally have squares and rulers i am happy with.

View Rick M's profile

Rick M

#8 posted 08-12-2017 03:27 AM

$28 for a high quality US made combo square is a good deal, that’s cheaper than the PEC blems.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/