PEC 90 Degree 12" Combination Square

Review by PPK posted 08-07-2017 08:36 PM 1889 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
PEC 90 Degree 12" Combination Square No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a review for a combination square that is priced a lot lower than a Starret square, is actually square, and is made in the USA. All good things, right?

-It is square. Really square. All the way along the length of the ruler.
-It slides well. Not AMAZING, but well.
-Fit and finish are pretty decent, but not amazing. There are some sharp corners.
-The graduations are well marked, and very easy to read. (Etched in, I think)
-It came with some anti-corrosion coating on it and had no rust.
-Knurled knob is very easy to grip with two fingers and turn.
-Scratch awl is fine. (although I don’t use it, really)
-I’ve used it for several months, so I think I have a good feel for it and can write a decent review.

I bought it for about $20 on Ebay, not including S&H.

Overall, I’d buy this square again and again, since I have no need for the PERFECT tolerance of a Starret, nor do I have the money to buy one, but I do want a square that is SQUARE and affordable! I also like supporting US companies when possible. This tool fits the bill on all counts.

Disclaimer: I am not a machinist or a tool specialist, nor do It have any way to measure exactly how many thousandths of an inch it is accurate to, but I know that when I cut a line with a marking knife, flip the square and check, it looks perfect!

-- Pete

View PPK's profile

PPK

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#1 posted 08-07-2017 10:23 PM

Thanks for the review. I have the PEC 6” double square and like it a lot.

I didn’t know the 12” combo square could be had so cheaply. I usually would buy from Taylor Toolworks on ebay. Is that where you got yours?

View Andre's profile

Andre

#2 posted 08-08-2017 03:16 AM

Might have to take a look, the Empire from H.D. getting a little sloppy.
I do have a Starrett but I only use it for important stuff and to check
other squares! The square I use most of the time is a 2 1/2” Lufkin.

Checked E-Bay ca. $42 + 20 for shipping Canadian $

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View JohnDi's profile

JohnDi

#3 posted 08-08-2017 09:47 AM

Cache out Harry Epstein for PEC blemishes.
They get good reviews and are very reasonably priced.

View PPK's profile

PPK

#4 posted 08-08-2017 01:18 PM

Looks like the seller is Reddottool. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PEC-90-Degree-12-Combination-Square-/222244770698?hash=item33bed2138a:g:rdoAAOSwHoFXqOTa

I also like buying from Taylor Tool Works.

-- Pete

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#5 posted 08-08-2017 04:41 PM

Thanks for the review. I have a Starrett comb square and use it only for special jobs and for checking other squares. I was able to check a Stanley square against the Starrett and found it to be very much off. I was able to correct this with a little machining, but it is still not perfect. I think I will get a PEC CS for everyday use and send the Stanley to the “framing” toolbox where it belongs.

View jonah's profile

jonah

#6 posted 08-09-2017 12:51 PM

I have one of these squares, and it’s great. Perfectly square, or at least as perfectly square as my eyes can see, and the fit and finish is very good.

I also have two PEC 4” double squares and a try square. All are great.

View dbeck's profile

dbeck

#7 posted 08-10-2017 10:07 AM

I got a set of these from harry epstein and they are great. Learned of the site from on a forum here and finally have squares and rulers i am happy with.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

#8 posted 08-12-2017 03:27 AM

$28 for a high quality US made combo square is a good deal, that’s cheaper than the PEC blems.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View ChipSawdust's profile

ChipSawdust

#9 posted 09-14-2017 02:57 PM

I was a mechanic in a former life and bought a lot of Snap-On, Mac, Matco etc name brand tools. The best was what I needed because I made my living with them.

Woodworking as a hobby, I’m a little cheaper in some things. I only have one L-N plane, but boy do I love that plane. I have a cheap combo square I bought from HD, and I don’t respect it but it’s still in my box for stuff that just needs to be fairly close. The Starrett in my toolbox stays there, even though it’s almost 40 years old it has gone through a lot. You do get what you pay for, or you pay for what you get, either way…