A very affordable, functional base with below average fit and finish

Review by Eric Moon posted 07-17-2017 05:04 PM 716 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A very affordable, functional base with below average fit and finish No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently acquired my first cabinet saw – a ~10 year old 3hp industrial SawStop. Its a heavy beast, somewhere north of 500lbs. I need to be able to move it around occasionally, so I’ve been on the hunt for a mobile base for it.

I looked at the SawStop mobile base and it looked amazing, but $300+ was out of my budget, which was near empty after buying the saw. So I’d been on the lookout for a less costly mobile base.

Last week, I got the weekly email from Grizzly.com advertising their new T28000 mobile base, and the price was right (70 bucks plus shipping). It is rated at 1200lbs (hmmm – not sure I believe that), but for my 500lb table saw, I figured it would be ok.

It was delivered quickly, but the box was a mess. It was poorly packaged and open on both ends. The bag of bolts was open as well, and there was a bolt or two rattling around the box. Amazingly, all pieces were accounted for.

Box as it was delivered on my porch:

Fit and finish left something to be desired. This base has two swiveling casters and 2 fixed casters. The fixed casters looked pretty rough, with some surface rust, but they spun easily. One of the corners for the leveling feet were bent, so I had to bend it back into shape to get it to fit. Small things like that are to be expected given the price, i suppose.

Bent corner piece:

Assembly was very easy and instructions were clear. They have two assembly options, one for assembling the base and then adding your machine, or assembling around the machine. Very useful for the larger machines this will be used for.

Overall, for 70 bucks, I am very satisfied. The base rolls easy, it sets up solid once the leveling feet are down and does exactly what I need it to do.

View Eric Moon's profile

Eric Moon

10 posts in 2077 days

#1 posted 07-17-2017 11:42 PM

I recently bought a Powermate PM-2500 which I reviewed on LJ’s. It is hard to find a mobile base that is steady in its stationary mode. How does the Grizz rate in that department?

I also have a Sawstop PCS on an ICS base, and that is a dream. Trouble is, since I hard piped the saw to DC, I never actually move it!

Thanks again, I was wondering about this product after seeing it in their catalog.

View Green_Hornut's profile

Green_Hornut

#2 posted 07-18-2017 02:30 AM

I also have the Sawstop PCS. I first started with the mobile base for the PCS and it was a pain. While it worked just fine, quality was very good, and it was integral to the saw cabinet, it had two fixed and two swiveling casters. That meant you had to “drive” the saw everywhere you wanted it to go. Lots of back and filling just like parallel parking a car. My smaller size shop requires moving the saw a lot. Not a good solution. I saved my coin and sold the PCS mobile base and bought an ICS base. High quality, all 4 casters are swiveling, rolls exceptionally well. The raising and lowering is accomplished by parallel arms attached to a small hydraulic bottle jack run by a foot peddle. A couple of pumps with the peddle and it’s ready to move. Lever operated by foot moves the valve to open and close the pump which raises and lowers the unit. Very handy and well thought out. Glad I spent the money and got something that works so well. Highly recommended.

-- Mother Nature always bats last.

View Eric Moon's profile

Eric Moon

10 posts in 2077 days

#3 posted 07-18-2017 02:03 PM

I recently bought a Powermate PM-2500 which I reviewed on LJ s. It is hard to find a mobile base that is steady in its stationary mode. How does the Grizz rate in that department?

Its steady enough for a table saw. I can’t really get it to move very much with the legs down. It’ll never be as stable as a base that raises all 4 wheels rather than just the 2, but it works well for me.

I’m not planning on moving it around a bunch (another reason I went for the cheaper grizzly over the 4x more expensive sawstop ics version). Once I get the saw in place, it’ll stay there and only very rarely move…