Triton Respirator Exceeds Expectations

Review by MsDebbieP posted 01-13-2008 02:22 PM 9522 views 3 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton Respirator Exceeds Expectations No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Photo

Cost
  • I purchased this at a wood show last year and I cannot remember how much I paid for it. I know that I did not cringe at the price, knowing the benefits it would bring and that I was very pleased with it once I tried it out. I never regretted the investment.
Why did I get it?
  • Because the LumberJocks told me how dangerous woodworking can be, due to breathing in the dust.
  • Because when we got some rough-hewn pine I found that my eyes and lungs were irritated soon after some cutting of it had taken place
How it works
  • The hardhat is adjustable to fit.
  • There is a flipdown face shield, and ear protection that can also be flipped up/down.
  • A collar fits around your neck to keep dust out and clean air in.
  • Clean air comes in at the forehead.
  • A hose is attached to the headpiece and to the battery pack/filter which is on a belt so that you can wear it on your waist, making it easy to carry.
Effectiveness
  • The mask doesn’t fog up – until the battery gets low (great cue).
  • The battery lasts quite a long time. I wore it through a couple projects before recharging.
  • Dust does collect on the outside of mask and is easily wiped off with a soft rag.
  • Ear protection is wonderful and because it is attached you don’t forget to use it
  • Motor is pretty quiet and I don’t find it annoying in any way.
  • The helmet isn’t heavy and I haven’t yet felt any strain from wearing it (most times are about an hour in length so far).
  • The helmet doesn’t slip back and forth on my head unless I do something (such as scratch my head) and loosen the tightening mechanism. And then, tightening it at this point I usually get some hair caught in it.. (drawback).
  • I don’t have irritated eyes/lungs now when working with the pine that we have. Yippee!!!
  • It does get a little warm (with the neck piece, hardhat, earmuff) but the fresh air coming in on the forehead keeps it nice for the most part. If I get uncomfortable, I just take a break and do some laundry or something and come back down and continue. It hasn’t bothered me yet at all

Happy?
Yes. I’m really happy with the purchase and if I choose/forget not to use it, a few coughs later remind me to put it on!

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 01-13-2008 02:37 PM

How about a ballpark figure on the cost.

#2 posted 01-13-2008 02:38 PM

that’s a great idea!
I wish I could remember what we paid. I bought it at a wood show last year and completely forget the ‘ball park” amount.
Someone else might be able to help out here.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

#3 posted 01-13-2008 02:43 PM

great post deb, ive been looking into respiraters lately i was kinda excited about this one till you said it gets a little warm , so down here it would probably be like working in a fish bowl ! however if it had a beer can attachment i might try one !! lol

#4 posted 01-13-2008 02:45 PM

lol well, I’ve used it in the summer (we get 90F weather) and “a little warm” is the correct description. Not hot, not sweaty… just a little warm.
I’ve heard about some masks that have been said to get “hot”. I have never felt hot or suffocating in it.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#5 posted 01-13-2008 02:58 PM

Great investment in your personal health Deb. It’s the little fines that wreak havoc with our lungs and all the air cleaners In the world wont remove them from our shops.
I personally use the Trend brand of the respirator mask as it is self contained, and not as bulky around my rather full waist.

I think they were around the $300.00 mark when I got mine.

Regards
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#6 posted 01-13-2008 03:49 PM

A very good review Debbie:

Check Woodcraft for prices.

#7 posted 01-13-2008 03:52 PM

so approximately $200.

#8 posted 01-13-2008 04:25 PM

Great Review Debbie.

Bob#2 give us a review on the Trend.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#9 posted 01-13-2008 05:10 PM

Great subject Ms. Debbie;

I’m sure we’re all familiar with the fine dust we’ve been exposing ourselves too.

I recall entering wood shops to purchase things for my construction business twenty years ago,( prior to opening my own), and wondering about all the fine dust floating around, yet nobody there had a mask. This was prior to all the dust collection systems available today.

I was amazed by the fact nobody seemed to care about it. I wonder how those guys are breathing today.

I don’t use one of these, but I do have dust collection systems in use all the time, including ceiling mounted air cleaners, and if I am feeling a need, based on what I’m doing, I’ll put on a good quality mask.

Great review, as always;

Lee

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#10 posted 01-13-2008 05:20 PM

I have been thinking about getting one of there for a while now. Thanks for the review!

View mot's profile

mot

#11 posted 01-13-2008 05:46 PM

That’s a good review, Debbie. Like Bob, I use the Trend. It has it’s faults but does a good job as well. Thanks for the writeup!

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View Bill's profile

Bill

#12 posted 01-13-2008 06:33 PM

Well done Debbie. I am glad to hear that you bought it and are using it as well. I have been thinking of one too, but continue to use a dust mask for now.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View TreeBones's profile

TreeBones

#13 posted 01-13-2008 07:36 PM

Very cool, I’ll be looking into this a lot closer and set aside some investment funds.

-- Ron, Twain Harte, Ca. Portable on site Sawmill Service http://westcoastlands.net/Sawmill.html http://westcoastlands.net/SawBucks2/phpBB3 http://www.portablesawmill.info

View woodsmith's profile

woodsmith

#14 posted 01-25-2008 11:36 PM

I posted a question to see if anybody had used the jsp power cap. I like the looks of it but wouldn’t want to order without some feed back.
woodsmith

-- woodsmith

View SteveM's profile

SteveM

#15 posted 02-11-2008 02:14 PM

I bought the Triton and after a few hours of ‘run-in’ still couldn’t get the air flow sufficient to register on the supplied test device. I mentioned this in passing to Craft Supplies while at a show (just sharing info, not complaining) and Kirk said he had heard a couple of other cases. Despite my protests, he wasn’t satisfied until he called his warehouse and had a brand new unit shipped to me at no cost. BIG KUDOS to Craft Supplies!! That said, I still can’t get proper flow out of the new one – even with all filters removed. Maybe two lemons out of a big basket? Other than this rather big issue, the rest of the unit is well designed and a pleasure to use.