When we recently moved we found that an oak upholstered chair had gotten mold on the upholstery from being in the garage. I had it sitting out in the garage and the other day I decided I would “fix” it. It had a southwestern themed upholstery on it and it had a back brace that had a southwestern style cut in it. I took off the upholstery and got it down to the frame. At this point I thought about disassembling the chair and using it as a guide to build one from scratch (I should have went with that thought). I decided that I would cut the back brace out and replace it with 5 braces going up the back (mission style). I put a seat on it with old flooring scraps which worked wonderfully. Then comes the hairy part. I thought I could use some finish nails to attach the back braces. They didn’t seem strong enough and I was unsatisfied with how they held up. So I went to attaching them with screws which means plugs and not the type of joinery I enjoy. All in all I think it would have been better to just go through and build a new chair for the reasons of joinery being nicer and satisfaction of building one from scratch. Steve
-- "Nature provides us with the most beautiful things in this world"