All Replies on Are HVLP Turbine Guns Interchangeable?

  • Advertise with us
View onoitsmatt's profile

Are HVLP Turbine Guns Interchangeable?

by onoitsmatt
posted 10-21-2017 04:20 PM

6 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5094 posts in 2637 days

#1 posted 10-22-2017 11:44 AM

The hose for my Fuji is a garden hose, literally. I hung the very stiff OEM hose on the wall and bought a length of Flexilla to use with the unit. So the fittings on the turbine are garden hose fittings. One the gun is a QD that may or may not be proprietary (I think not), but it still fits the male end of the garden hose. That doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I think most of them use the same thing. The conversion gun, AFAIK, will not work with the turbine. They require a higher pressure at the gun.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View rwyoung's profile


409 posts in 3616 days

#2 posted 10-26-2017 09:42 PM

Yes and no.

Often the hoses are using garden-hose fittings on turbine rigs. The hose may or may not be a garden hose but should at least have about the same I.D. as the original. The pressure is pretty low, less than 10psi but if you start to restrict the volume by having too small of an I.D. the back-pressure goes up and the turbines can overheat. And you just won’t get sufficient air at the gun for things to work right.

HVLP Turbine guns are mostly interchangeable but be aware that some turbine rigs don’t have as much back-pressure relief as others so those with less back-pressure relief are better suited to bleeder style guns. You can use a non-bleeder gun but it will cause the turbine unit to heat up quicker and has the potential for shortening the life of the equipment. YMMV.

You can contact Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing to talk about some nice, mid-range and high-range aftermarket turbine guns. You can also roll the dice and look at some of the $40-60 guns on eBay. Chances are they are fine but you might feel better working with an established re-seller. Especially when it comes to fittings, gaskets and other consumable parts.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

View onoitsmatt's profile


395 posts in 1320 days

#3 posted 10-27-2017 03:36 AM

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful responses. Great information!

-- Matt - Phoenix, AZ

View Kelly's profile


2092 posts in 3088 days

#4 posted 10-27-2017 05:55 AM

You can run my Capspray on a Graco and versa visa. I used a cheap Harbor Freight gun on an old three stage Graco I bought. It also worked on my Capsprayer and my Capspray gun on it. In the end, if the gun will take a standard HVLP fitting, you should be good to go.

Just for reference, I picked up the fittings for my guns at a hydraulic place because a standard paint gun quick connect wouldn’t work for a true HVLP. I installed the fitting on a cheap texture gun (plastic with a screw on lid) and run it off my four stage and it worked fine too.

You just can use a conversion gun for a turbine system and versa visa.

View Kelly's profile


2092 posts in 3088 days

#5 posted 10-27-2017 12:15 PM

My post, just above, should have said “[y]ou just CANT use a conversion gun for a turbine system and versa visa.”

View Carloz's profile


1147 posts in 736 days

#6 posted 10-27-2017 07:59 PM

In the very worst you will have to buy something likes this for your 3rd party gun:

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics