Reply by DaveH

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Fishing Electric Wiring

View DaveH's profile


400 posts in 3741 days

#1 posted 03-28-2009 10:44 PM

1. If you don’t have a permit…get one or get a licensed electrician to do the job who will get a permit. Don’t even think about running underground service to your shop without a permit.

2. Code requires the pvc to be buried to a depth of 18”. If your going very far, get someone with a backhole to dig the trench. If you are doing the work yourself the inspector will need to see the trench to verify depth.

3. Put in 2 1/2” PVC conduit. This is large enough to handle a 200 amp service and will be easier to run the cable.

4. Make sure you handle the ground on the panel in the shop according to code. If you are running the shop panel as a subpanel off the house main you will need to separate the neutral and ground circuits. You may or may not need a ground rod at the shop. Depends on what the inspector says and code. You may need power disconnect on the outside of the shop. Depend on what the inspector says.

If your are going to do your own work. Get a permit and meet with the inspector assigned to your job and talk over you plans and then do what the inspector tells you to do. I did the wiring on my show and that is how I when about planning the job.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics