Reply by jeffthewoodwacker

  • Advertise with us

Posted on wood stabilization for turning blanks?

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile


603 posts in 3975 days

#1 posted 03-15-2009 01:37 AM

You can stabilize your blanks by flowing thin or medium CA glue on them. Another alternative is build a vacuum chamber. Do not use glass!!!! If you use glass please have the number for 911 on speed dial – standard glass jars will not hold up under constant vacuum. You can build a cheap vacuum chamber from plywood. Also look around at Harbor Freight – they sometimes have metal canisters with lock down lids that you can drill out for vacuum fittings. I get 20-24 pounds on a regular basis. If you use the vacuum chamber you can either soak the material with CA glue or a 50-50 mixture of Titebond II glue and water. When I turn soapstone I will coat it liberally with the titebond II glue and water mixture and put it in the vacuum chamber. If needed I will do a second application. Google vacuum chambers and you will get a lot of information.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics