Reply by Karson

  • Advertise with us

Posted on wood stabilization for turning blanks?

View Karson's profile


35125 posts in 4425 days

#1 posted 03-14-2009 11:36 PM

Gary: In my research today it looks like Loctite Resinol 90C is the stuff to use. It was made for industrial use many years ago to repair engine blocks and castings that leaked air. They immerse the parts in this stuff and then bake it to cure it and the leaks go away. The 90C label states that you cure it at 90 deg C. It has brought down the number of defective parts.

It’s assumed that this is the product that is used by the professional wood stabilizers like MSSI. But they don’t say that in their web pages. You can buy it on eBay for 125.00 a gal and 35.00 a quart. From Loctite I’ve seen quotes of $1200.00 for 4 gal. Where the eBay seller would sell it for $500.00 for 4 gal. Maybe cheaper if you bought more. Some of the knife makers state that they use it a lot, for knife skins. And use Aniline Dyes to dye the wood as you stabalize it of before stabalizing it.

If we stored the used stuff in our mason jar we wouldn’t contimate the original container. They say the best storage is 2 to 8 deg C or around 35 to 46 deg F

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics