Reply by Fred Hargis

  • Advertise with us

Posted on DC questions

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5000 posts in 2521 days

#1 posted 08-15-2013 06:21 PM

Last question first: 6” hose is easy to find, but may not fit your definition of “cheap”. Grizzly carries it, as does Woodworker’s Supply and several other vendors. I bought mine at WWS and it’s very good hose. As for metal versus PVC, I’d price the parts you need (with fittings) and get whichever is cheapest. My system is 6” PVC (except for a short length of 7” metal) and work very well. With PVC you do not have the wide range of size that metal offers. On the other hand, with metal it can be hard (or expensive) to find true wyes. If you wind up with snap lock for the straight sections, you’ll have to seal the seams. I think PVC is more common due to costs, but it pays to check. If you do go with PVC, you want the Soil and Drain, which is also called “thinwall”, DWV, and a soil pipe. To avoid confusion (especially with Skippy Stockboy at the box store) look for the markings “ASTM 2729”. That has 3000# crush, so you won’t suck it flat. BTW, if you go with snaplock stay away from the 30 gauge stuff, you can suck it flat. Lastly, grounding PVC is an urban myth that will not die. Save yourself some grief and money; if you go PVC skip the grounding. Should you choose to ground it, you will be sorry…but probably no safer.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics