Reply by Don W

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Making a Plane. Swap the knowledge

View Don W's profile

Don W

18756 posts in 2596 days

#1 posted 07-14-2013 01:13 PM

Thank Mos & Scott/

Shelly, this will be a smoother. (OP edited for that info)

As for types. A smoother will be used for smoothing or finishing. A scraper even a finer finish and works on very difficult grain. A smoother should have a mouth of about 1/16” wide when the iron is set to cut. A scraper can be wider, a lot wider. The wider the better for getting the shavings out.

Jacks and scrubs are for rough work. The mouth can be wider and these are usually narrower. A jack is typically like a #5, about 14” long. A scrub is shorter and narrower. Both have a cambered iron, the scrub is cambered more. They will be used for dimensioning lumber, and trueing rough sawn.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics