LumberJocks

Reply by TheWoodenOyster

  • Advertise with us

Posted on What Defines Shabby Chic in Furniture?

View TheWoodenOyster's profile

TheWoodenOyster

597 posts in 532 days


#1 posted 394 days ago

Interesting discussion. This seems to strike a vein in everyone, including me. I think about 70% of us are wired to consider “fine woodworking” aka Krenov the epitome of fashion or style. The other 30% of us are a more abstract crowd who may like shabby chic or modern or colonial or Nakashima. I think the reason everyone (myself included sometimes) gets so pissed off about the whole shabby chic thing is because we feel like people who are not craftsmen are making a ton of money nailing pallet wood together. They spend 5 hours and build a dining room table, where it might take a skilled woodworker 200 hours. BUT, they get paid the same as the skilled woodworker. That can be infuriating, no doubt.

The way I look at it is we all have to make money somehow, and as long as I am not doing anything morally wrong, I don’t really have an issue with it. If I can get paid $1000 for a coffee table made out of junk wood from a dumpster, I’m all for it. That is not necessarily what I want in my living room, but if someone else wants to pay me a lot for it, fine by me! Everyone has their own tastes and style, and fashion is nauseatingly cyclical, but it is the nature of the beast. At some point or another, many of us will end up making something that a friend, family member, or client wants that we don’t really care too much for. But, we make it anyway. I have found that “distressing” projects presents a fun and interesting challenge. You have to really get crazy with methods to get the look you want, but it can definitely be fun.

I have no qualms with shabby chic. I would build something in this style if requested. I see no difference between it and the other abstract realms of woodworking.

-- The Wood Is Your Oyster


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase