Reply by oldnovice

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Need jig for cutting '+' in end of dowel

View oldnovice's profile


6854 posts in 3367 days

#1 posted 03-29-2013 07:21 AM

Essentially what Elizabeth said is to make a “collet block”, a perfectly square block with a hole dead center. Machine shops have collect blocks that can hold the various collet sizes they typically use.

The dowel is inserted in the hole, locked in place with either a pin or screw, cut one slot, rotate the square block to another face and cut cut again.

If you have an old drill press chuck sitting around you can make sort of a collet block for your shop by putting the chuck (O.D.) into the block and a set screw to hold it in place once you have inserted the dowel to be cut, slide the chuck into the block, cut the slot, rotate the block, cut again, loosen the set screw, remove chuck with dowel, loosen chuck, remove dowel, and repeat as needed.

This is a drawing of my Chuck block

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics