LumberJocks

Reply by Purrmaster

  • Advertise with us

Posted on Food Safe Hardwoods

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

800 posts in 779 days


#1 posted 01-29-2013 09:42 AM

lumberjoe:

That is my understanding as well. The solvents are the toxic part. Once all the solvents have evaporated you are left with a film that is basically inert. I’m reading Flexner’s second book “Flexner on finishing” now. He claims that even if you did end up swallowing a chunk of cured finish it wouldn’t harm you. I’m not sure I entirely buy that. I know I’d prefer not to eat a chunk of varnish. Which is what you would get, I would think, if you use it on a cutting board.

If I was going to a baby crib or a toy for a child I would use either paint that is truly lead free or shellac. I’d probably go with shellac. You could gobble down a bunch of shellac flakes and you’d be fine.


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase