Reply by Grandpa

  • Advertise with us

Posted on A question: what is the difference between a Jointer and a Jointer/Planer?

View Grandpa's profile


3259 posts in 2703 days

#1 posted 01-20-2013 02:02 AM

I agree with a1Jim. The generation you come from means a lot. I was taught to call them jointer/planers because they do plane a face flat. They don’t thickness plane. We also learned to call sabre saws….sabre saws. today those are jig saws. We were taught that a jig saw powers a blade. much like a coping saw blade, from the lower end. Today we use smaller, thinner, blasdes on a lighter machine and call it a scroll saw. They are different than jig saws but similiar. Drills are those devices with flutes that you put into the chuck of a drill motor. First the public misuses terms then the marketing people go with them.
I was also taught that wood filler was used for filling grain in the wood before finishing. Wood repair was used for filling holes in he wood.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics